The emergence of Russian liberalism : Alexander Kunitsyn in context, 1783-1840 / Julia Berest.
- First edition.
- New York, NY : Palgrave Macmillan, 2011, ©2011.
- Palgrave studies in cultural and intellectual history.
Palgrave studies in cultural and intellectual history
vii, 264 pages ; 22 cm.
- Kunit︠s︡yn, Aleksandr Petrovich, 1783-1840.
Kunit︠s︡yn, Aleksandr Petrovich, 1783-1840 -- Political and social views.
Intellectuals -- Russia -- Biography.
Law teachers -- Russia -- Biography.
Philosophers -- Russia -- Biography.
Liberalism -- Russia -- History -- 19th century.
Natural law -- History -- 19th century.
Russia -- Intellectual life -- 1801-1917.
Russia -- Politics and government -- 1801-1917.
Russia -- History -- Alexander I, 1801-1825.
HISTORY / Europe / Russia & the Former Soviet Union
HISTORY / Modern / 19th Century
HISTORY / Social History
- "This study offers a fresh perspective on the history of Russian liberalism by looking at the life and work of Alexander Kunitsyn, a teacher and philosopher of natural law, whose academic and journalistic writings contributed to the dissemination of Western liberal thought among the Russian public. Placed into the broad intellectual and political context of its time, Kunitsyn's life illuminates the history of legal philosophy and early liberalism in Russia--the topics that remain little studied in Russian and Western scholarships. One of the chapters is devoted to the textual and historical analysis of the major works on legal philosophy published in early nineteenth century Russia, none of which has been examined before. A comparison with other thinkers highlights Kunitsyn's distinctly individualistic and liberal interpretation of the natural law theory. It also explains why the publication of his work triggered an official reaction against the teaching of natural law and philosophy in Russian universities"--Provided by publisher.
- Formative years
Years in the Tsarskoe Selo Lyceum
Kunitsyn in the Son of Fatherland
Kunitsyn and Nicholas Turgenev : the Society of the Year 1819
Natural law tradition in Russia
In the midst of conservative reaction
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 9780230111738 (hardback)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|