Children's Rights and International Development : Lessons and Challenges from the Field / edited by Myriam Denov, Richard Maclure, and Kathryn Campbell.
- First edition.
- New York, NY : Palgrave Macmillan, 2011, ©2011.
vi, 308 pages : illustrations ; 22 cm.
- Children's rights -- Developing countries -- Case studies.
- "Although two decades have passed since the nearly universal ratification of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, the realization of children's rights throughout much of the developing world continues to be a significant challenge. This collection of "essays from the field" combines accounts of the experiences and perspectives of marginalized children in ten developing countries with critical assessments of current child rights policies and strategies of intervention. In considering children living in arduous circumstances such as violent conflict, exploitative labor, incarceration, and institutional care, the collection also highlights the possibilities of enhancing the fundamental resiliency of children"-- Provided by publisher.
- Part I. Children and Institutional Care: 1. Home Truths: Children's Rights in Institutional Care in Sri Lanka / Dharshini Seneviratne and Fahmida Mariam; 2. Juvenile Justice in São Paulo, Brazil: Violence and Denied Opportunities / John D. McLennan, Fatima D. Rigato, and Isabel A.S. Bordin; 3. Children in Institutional and Alternative Care in Viet Nam: A Review of Current Policy and Practice / Julie Bergeron and Sakiko Tanaka
Part II. Child Labor, Violence and Exploitation: 4. Child Laborers in the Bolivian Mining Sector: Exploring Children's Experiences and Perspectives / Juan Albarracin-Jordan and Thérèse Bouchard; 5. Breaking the Silence: The Voices of Girls Forcibly Involved in Armed Conflict in Angola / Vivi Stavrou; 6. Addressing Youth Violence and Aggression in Colombia: Examining Community-wide Prevention Initiative / Luis F Duque, Michael Ungar, and Beatriz Caicedo
Part III. Child Rights, Education and Participation: 7. The Dynamics of Youth Participation: Insights From Research Fieldwork with Female Youth in Senegal / Richard Maclure; 8. From Education to Equality? Bolivian Adolescent Males' Understanding of Gender Equality in the Wake of Sensitivity Workshops / Christine Gervais
Part IV. Community-based Approaches to Child Rights and Protection: 9. The Wayo Programme in Northern Uganda: Building on Traditional Assets in Supporting Acholi Young Women and Girls in the Context of War and HIV / Sheetal Patel, Patricia Spittal, Herbert Muyinda, Geoffrey Oyat, and Nelson Sewankambo; 10. Rethinking the Orphan Crisis: Community-Based Responses to Orphan Care in Malawi / Liam Riley and Esther Lupafya; 11. The Fluctuations of Child Worker Support: A Study of Female Domestic Workers in Senegal / Daniel Lavan and Richard Maclure; 12. Circles of Care: Community-Based Child Protection in South Africa / Philip Cook and Lesley du Toit.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Denov, Myriam S.
Maclure, Richard Alexander.
Campbell, Kathryn M. (Kathryn Maria), 1960- editor of compilation.
- Seneviratne, Dharshini. Home truths.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|