Memorial dado a sua Mag[esta]d[e] a respeito do governo e prehiminencias da Santa Inquisiçao [manuscript] / por D[on] Alvaro Beserra de Gen[e]ral Inquisiça[o].
- [Lisbon?, Portugal], 1750.
54 leaves : paper ; 201 x 138 (168 x 110) mm.
- Inquisition -- Portugal -- Early works to 1800.
Manuscripts, Portuguese -- 18th century.
- Memorandum on the history of the Inquisition attributed to the inquisitor Alvaro Beserra (or Becerra) and written for Joseph I, who was crowned king of Portugal in 1750, followed by a group of 8 sonnets (f. 103r-106v) attributed to João Crisóstomo and addressed to the king, the queen, and various nobles.
- Ms. codex.
Title from caption title (f. 54r).
Foliation: Paper, 54; 54-75, [i], 76-106; contemporary foliation in ink, upper right recto.
Layout: Written in 21 long lines. Catchwords on each page, lower right corner, some trimmed.
Script: Written in cursive script.
Binding: Paper wrapper, glued at spine.
Origin: Written in Portugal, possibly Lisbon, after August 1750 (f. 101v, 102v).
- Penn Provenance:
- Formerly owned by antiquarian bookdealer and collector Alfonso Cassuto (Lisbon; embossed stamp, f. 54r, 107r).
Sold at auction at Kestenbaum & Company as part of the Alfonso Cassuto collection, Part 2, 23 June 2011, lot 48.
- Cited as:
- UPenn Ms. Codex 1611
- Joseph, King of Portugal, 1714-1777, recipient.
Cassuto, Alfonso, 1910-1990, former owner.
Alfonso Cassuto Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
- Crisóstomo, João.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|