The moderate [electronic resource] : impartially communicating martial affaires to the kingdome of England.
- Other Title:
- Burney Collection
- London : printed for Robert White, 1648-1649.
- 17th-18th century Burney Collection newspapers [electronic resource].
17th-18th century Burney Collection newspapers
66 v. ;
Numb. 171 (From Thursday June 22. to Thursday June 29. 1648)-Numb. 173 (From Thursday July 6. to Thursday July 13. 1648) ; Numb. 1 (From Tuesday July 11. to Tuesday July 18. 1648)-Numb. 63 (From Tuesday September 18. to Tuesday September 25. 1649)
- Great Britain -- History -- Civil War, 1642-1649 -- Newspapers -- Early works to 1800.
- Place of Publication:
- Great Britain England London.
- At end of text: Imprimatur Gilb. Mabbot.
First three issues (no.171-173) appeared on Thursday, adopting the numbering system of Dillingham's Moderate intelligencer and falsely claiming to be a retitling of that newsbook; subsequent issues apppeared on Tuesday. Cf. Williams.
Frank attributes editorship to Gilbert Mabbott; Nelson & Seccombe suggest this is a doubtful attribution.
Imprint from colophon.
Pagination and signatures of first three issues are identical to those of Dillingham's Moderate intelligencer; pagination and signatures begin again with no.1 and are continuous thereafter.
Reproduction of the originals from the Burney Collection, the British Library (London).
Title from caption.
No.171 (22-29 June 1648) was the first issue published; no.1 (11-18 Jul. 1648) constitutes issue no.4.
Electronic reproduction. Farmington Hills, Mich. : Gale, 2009. Available via the World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreements. 2009 miunns
- Local notes:
- Images from the source library are selected or scattered issues as well as various editions of the cataloged title and related titles (where indicated in the MARC record) as representative of the general publishing history of the title during the 17th and 18th centuries.
- Cited in:
- Crane & Kaye, no. 556
Frank, J. Beginnings of the English Newspaper 1620-1660, pp. 153-155
Nelson & Seccombe. Brit. newspapers and periodicals, 1641-1700, 413.1171-2063
Williams, J.B. History of English Journalism, pp. 104-105
- Mabbott, Gilbert.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|