Flower drum song [videorecording] / Universal-International presents ; a Ross Hunter production ; in association with Joseph Fields ; Rodgers & Hammerstein's ; music by Richard Rodgers ; lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein, 2nd ; screenplay by Joseph Fields ; produced by Ross Hunter ; directed by Henry Koster.
- [S.l. : s.n., 20--].
1 videodisc (132 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in.
- Lee, C. Y., 1915-2018. Flower drum song -- Film adaptations.
Rodgers, Richard, 1902-1979. Flower drum song -- Film adaptations.
First loves -- Drama.
Mail order brides -- Drama.
Arranged marriage -- Drama.
Women -- Conduct of life -- Drama.
Man-woman relationships -- Drama.
Brides -- California -- San Francisco -- Drama.
Chinese Americans -- California -- San Francisco -- Drama.
Women immigrants -- California -- San Francisco -- Drama.
Chinatown (San Francisco, Calif.) -- 20th century -- Drama.
- Romantic comedy films.
- System Details:
- Set in San Francisco's Chinatown in the late 1950's. Pretty Mei Li has stowed away on a Chinese steamer with her professor father to become a mail-order bride for nightclub owner Sammy Fong. Sammy, however, is completely infatuated with saucy showgirl Linda Low, who is intent on making him jealous enough to propose to her. As Sammy sets out to assign his marriage contract (and Mei Li) to Wang Ta, a handsome college student living in Chinatown, complications, merriment, and many musical numbers ensue.
- Main titles
"A Hundred Million Miracles"
"Fan Tan Fannie"
"The Other Celebration"
"A Hundred Million Miracles" (reprise)
"I Enjoy Being a Girl"
"I Am Going to Like It Here"
"You Be the Rock"
"Gliding Through My Memoree"
"Love, Look Away"
"You Are Beautiful"
"Don't Marry Me"
Sealed with a kiss
"A Hundred Million Miracles" (Reprise/Finale).
- Nancy Kwan, James Shigeta, Benson Fong, Jack Soo, Juanita Hall, Reiko Sato, Patrick Adiarte, Kam Tong, Victor Sen Yung, Soo Yong, Ching Wah Lee, James Hong, Miyoshi Umeki.
- Director of photography, Russell Metty ; film editor, Milton Carruth ; music supervised and conducted by Alfred Newman ; choreography, Hermes Pan.
- Based on the novel "The Flower Drum Song" by C.Y. Lee.
Originally produced as a motion picture in 1961.
- Local notes:
- Presented to the Penn Libraries by Harvey Sheldon.
- Penn Provenance:
- Sheldon, Harvey (donor)
- Koster, Henry, 1905-1988 , Director
Hunter, Ross. , Producer
Fields, Joseph A., 1895-1966. , Producer, Screenwriter
Kwan, Nancy, 1939- , Actor
Shigeta, James. , Actor
Fong, Benson. , Actor
Soo, Jack, 1917-1979. , Actor
Hall, Juanita, 1901-1968. , Actor
Satō, Reiko. , Actor
Adiarte, Patrick. , Actor
Tong, Kam, 1906-1969. , Actor
Yung, Victor Sen, 1915-1980 , Actor
Yong, Soo, 1903-1984. , Actor
Lee, Ching Wah. , Actor
Hong, James. , Actor
Umeki, Miyoshi, 1929-2007. , Actor
Rodgers, Richard, 1902-1979 , Composer
Hammerstein, Oscar, II, 1895-1960 , Lyricist
Metty, Russell. , Cinematographer
Pan, Hermes, 1905-1990. , Choreographer
Newman, Alfred, 1901-1970 , Associated name
Lee, C. Y., 1915-2018. , Author
Universal-International (Firm). , Producer
Ross Hunter Productions. , Producer
Harvey Sheldon Jewish American Music Video Research Library (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|