Extratto da un libro de razza da cavalli del re Ferrante vechio de Aragona.
- [Venice], 1541.
47 leaves : parchment ; 228 x 157 (157 x 109) mm. bound to 233 x 166 mm.
- Agriculture -- Early works to 1800.
Animal culture -- Early works to 1800.
Horsemanship -- Early works to 1800.
Horses -- Early works to 1800.
Manuscripts, Italian -- 16th century.
- Treatise in 84 chapters on the anatomy, medical treatment, physical appearance, breeding, training, and care of horses. The manuscript claims to be an abridgment of an otherwise unknown work by Ferdinand I of Naples, an avid horseman.
- Ms. codex.
Title from caption title (f. 1r).
Collation: Parchment, i + 47 + i; 1-5⁸ 6⁸(-1); gatherings numbered 1-6 in modern pencil, lower right recto.
Layout: Written in 19 long lines; frame-ruled in faint red ink.
Script: Written in a cancellaresca script.
Decoration: Pen flourishes on either side of title (f. 1r) and some chapter headings; calligraphic initials in left margins at beginning of chapters.
Binding: Original Venetian morocco over pasteboard, blind- and gilt-tooled.
Origin: Probably written in Venice, based on binding and script (Lisa Fagin Davis); dated 1541 (f. 47r).
- Local notes:
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- Penn Provenance:
- Possibly first owned by Philippe de Croy, duc d'Arschot, marquis de Renty (after 1533), chevalier de la Toison d'Or, and royal chamberlain (inscriptions and pen trials inside lower cover).
Formerly owned by Charles Gilbert Terray, vicomte de Morel de Vindé (presentation letter from him to an unidentified woman, 1826, pasted inside upper cover).
Formerly owned by J.-B. Huzard, preeminent 18th- and 19th-century collector of texts on horses (stamp, f. 1r).
Sold as part of the Huzard collection, 1843, to Charles Louis Adélaïde Henri Matheron, baron de Curnieu (armorial booklabel inside upper cover).
Sold at auction by Etude Couturier Nicolay at Hôtel Drouot as part of the baron de Curnieu collection, 25 Feb. 1986, lot 144.
Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 5 Dec. 1994, lot 85, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Cited in:
- Listed in Catalogue des livres, dessins et estampes de la bibliothèque de feu M. J.-B. Huzard, Troisième Partie (Paris: Mme. ve. Bouchard-Huzard, 1842) p. 388 (no. 4249).
Described in Transformation of knowledge: early manuscripts from the collection of Lawrence J. Schoenberg (London: Paul Holberton, 2006), p. 128 (LJS 29).
- Cited as:
- LJS 29
- Croy, Philippe de, 1496-1549, former owner.
Morel de Vindé, Charles Gilbert Terray, vicomte, 1759-1842, former owner.
Huzard, J.-B. (Jean-Baptiste), 1755-1838, former owner.
Curnieu, Charles Louis Adélaïde Henri Matheron, baron de, ca. 1811-1871, former owner.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|