Lectures on chemistry [manuscript] / by Joseph Black, M.D. ; Vol. V.
- [Scotland?, between 1770 and 1786?]
261 leaves : paper ; 188 x 110 (164 x 100) mm. bound to 192 x 124 mm.
- University of Edinburgh -- History -- Sources.
Chemistry -- Early works to 1800.
Chemistry -- Study and teaching -- 18th century.
Manuscripts, English -- 18th century.
- Graduate of the University of Edinburgh (M.D., 1754); professor of chemistry, University of Glasgow, to 1766; chair of chemistry, University of Edinburgh, after 1766.
- Fifth volume of a set of fair copies of lecture notes for Lectures 61-77, concerning air in alkaline substances, various categories of earths (such as clays and flints), and inflammable substances (including phosphorus, sulfur, oils, and bitumens). Lectures are written on recto sides only, with a few diagrams added on versos.
- Ms. codex.
Title from title page (f. 2r).
Collation: Paper, i + 261 + ii; 1-26⁸ 27¹³ 28-32⁸. Catchwords on last recto of all gatherings but one.
Layout: Written in 21 long lines.
Script: Written in a cursive script.
Decoration: 2 small diagrams in ink of laboratory apparatus (title page verso, f. 12v); 1 small schematic diagram concerning air in alkaline substances (f. 38v).
Binding: Contemporary quarter leather with marbled paper over paper boards; gilt title on spine label, Black's lectures, and gilt volume number.
Origin: Possibly written in Scotland, between 1770 and 1786.
- Local notes:
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- Penn Provenance:
- Appears in a McDowell & Stern (York, England) catalog, no. 17477, 1970s?
Formerly owned by John D. Stanitz (Cleveland, Ohio), Ms. 1.
Acquired by Lawrence J. Schoenberg with other Stanitz manuscripts, Sept. 1997.
Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
Gift of Barbara Brizdle Schoenberg, 2016.
- Cited in:
- Described in Transformation of knowledge: early manuscripts from the collection of Lawrence J. Schoenberg (London: Paul Holberton, 2006), p. 113 (LJS 170).
- Cited as:
- UPenn LJS 170.
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J., former owner.
Lawrence J. Schoenberg Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|