Ynstruction of the ephimeredes [manuscript].
- [England], ca. 1540.
20 leaves : paper ; 188 x 142 (146-156 x 107) mm. bound to 196 x 152 mm.
- Astronomy -- Early works to 1800.
Ephemerides -- Early works to 1800.
Manuals (instructional materials)
Manuscripts, English -- 16th century.
- Instructions in 22 chapters for the use of ephemerides, astronomical tables giving the positions of planets, the sun, and the moon. Includes tables for the latitude of the moon, hourly motion of planets, duration of lunar eclipses, and lunar motion. A table for the risings and settings of fixed stars is "rectyfyed to the yere of our Lorde 1540 complete" (f. 17r).
- Ms. codex.
Title from opening rubric (f. 1r).
Collation: Paper, ii (modern) + ii + 20 + i + ii (modern); 1¹² 2⁵ 3⁴(-1); [1-20], modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
Layout: Text pages written in 24-31 long lines; 6 tables are in various arrangements of rows and columns.
Script: Written in a secretary script.
Decoration: Tables in brown and red ink; 6-line initial on red and silver ground with red flourishes (f. 1r); 3-line initials in red, or on a ground of red or brown penwork, or on red ground, or simply outlined in ink (some spaces for initials left blank with guide letters visible); initials touched with red throughout, some underlining in red; 2 pages frame-ruled in red ink (f. 1v-2r).
Binding: Modern calf.
Origin: Written in England, ca. 1540 (f. 17r).
- Local notes:
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- Penn Provenance:
- Formerly owned by James Alleyn (signature in another part of parent manuscript).
Parent manuscript formerly held in the library of the Marquesses of Bute, Ms. 13.
Sold at auction at Sotheby's as part of the Bute collection, 13 June 1983, lot 32 (part 6).
Appears in H. P. Kraus's cat. 180 (1988), no. 134, and cat. 186 (1991), no. 35.
Formerly owned by John D. Stanitz (Cleveland, Ohio), Ms. 19.
Acquired by Lawrence J. Schoenberg with other Stanitz manuscripts, Sept. 1997.
Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Cited in:
- Described in Transformation of knowledge: early manuscripts from the collection of Lawrence J. Schoenberg (London: Paul Holberton, 2006), p. 78-79 (LJS 188).
- Cited as:
- LJS 188
- Alleyn, James, former owner.
Stanitz, John D., former owner.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|