Qaluyaarmiuni nunamtenek qanemciput = our Nelson Island stories : meanings of place on the Bering Sea coast / translated by Alice Rearden ; edited by Ann Fienup-Riordan.
- Bethel : Calista Elders Council in association with University of Washington Press, ©2011.
liv, 441 pages, 56 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations (chiefly color), maps (chiefly color) ; 26 cm
- Yupik Eskimos -- Alaska -- Nelson Island -- Interviews.
Yupik Eskimos -- Alaska -- Nelson Island -- History.
Yupik Eskimos -- Alaska -- Nelson Island -- Social life and customs.
Geographical perception -- Alaska -- Nelson Island.
Place attachement -- Alaska -- Nelson Island.
Central Yupik language -- Texts.
Nelson Island (Alaska) -- Social life and customs.
Nelson Island (Alaska) -- History.
Central Yupik language.
Manners and customs.
Yupik Eskimos -- Social life and customs.
Alaska -- Nelson Island.
- "In this volume Nelson Island elders describe hundreds of traditionally important places in the landscape, from camp and village sites to tiny sloughs and deep ocean channels, contextualizing them through stories of how people interacted with them in the past and continue to know them today. The stories provide a rich, descriptive historical record and detail the ways in which land use has changed over time. Nelson Islanders maintained a strongly Yup'ik worldview and subsistence lifestyle through the 1940s, living in small settlements and moving with the seasonal cycle of plant and animal abundances. The last sixty years have brought dramatic changes, including the concentration of people into five permanent, year-round villages.
The elders have mapped significant places to help perpetuate an active relationship between the land and the people who continue to rely on the fluctuating bounty of the Bering Sea coastal environment. Alice Rearden is the primary translator for the Calista Elders Council."--Description from Univ. of Washington Press.
- Nightmute and Toksook Bay
Qalvinraaq River and Its Tributaries
Newtok and Tununak.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Fienup-Riordan, Ann.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|