[Scientific miscellany] [manuscript].
- [France], 1511.
283 leaves : paper ; 101 x 70 (80 x 53) mm. bound to 105 x 76 mm.
- Astrolabes -- Early works to 1800.
Astrology -- Early works to 1800.
Astronomy -- Early works to 1800.
Dyes and dyeing -- Early works to 1800.
Medicine -- Formulae, receipts, prescriptions -- Early works to 1800.
Manuscripts, French -- 16th century.
Manuscripts, Latin -- 16th century.
- Middle French and Latin.
- Compendium of astrological charts; astronomical and astrological tables; treatises on astronomy (calculating equinoxes and solstices, f. 51v; using an astrolabe, f. 68r) and geometry (f. 133r-180v, perhaps lacking ending, with numerous small diagrams and a few small illustrations); and instructions for making dyes and pigments (f. 182r-208r) and medical preparations (f. 224r, 226v). The first three gatherings of the manuscript are lacking, based on the signature of the first extant gathering, and the upper margin has been trimmed. 17th-century table of contents on lower flyleaf.
- Ms. codex.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Collation: Paper, i + 283 + i; 1⁸ 2² 3⁸ 4⁶ 5¹⁰ 6-7⁶ 8-12⁸ 13⁶(-1) 14⁸(-1) 15⁸(+1) 16-20⁸ 21¹⁶ 22-23⁸ 24² 25-32⁸ 33⁶ 34⁸ 35¹⁴ 36⁸(+2); gatherings signed d-i, i₂,l-t, v, x-z, @, 9 (abbreviation for con-), 2 (abbreviation for -orum), *a-*i, *i₂, *l-*n; multiple foliation schemes, many with numbers trimmed away, lower right recto.
Layout: Text written in 2 columns of 37 lines; tables in various arrangements of columns and rows. Pricking visible on outer edge of many leaves.
Script: Written in a bâtarde script by Imbert Fentryer (f. 225v).
Decoration: Numerous 8- to 10-line cadel, strapwork, or ribbon initials in red and green, red and blue, or red and black, some with grotesque faces or acanthus leaves added in black ink; 1- to 5-line initials in red or blue throughout; numerous tables and small astronomical and geometric diagrams, and a few illustrated geometric diagrams in red and black; rubrics in red throughout.
Binding: 18th-century morocco, gilt spine, label with title Astronomie, ribbon marker.
Origin: Written in France by Imbert Fentryer in 1511 (signature, date of event, f. 225v-226r).
- Local notes:
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- Penn Provenance:
- Formerly owned by Christian Friderich (signatures dated 1633, f. 251v, and 1635, f. 283v and lower endpaper).
Formerly owned by Anthelme-Michel-Laurent de Migieu, marquis de Savigny (signature dated 1760 on lower endpaper).
Offered for sale by Rodolphe Chamonal, Biennale des Antiquaires (1988), no. 19.
Formerly owned by John D. Stanitz (Cleveland, Ohio), Ms. 46.
Acquired by Lawrence J. Schoenberg with other Stanitz manuscripts, Sept. 1997.
Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Cited in:
- Described in Omont, Henri. Un bibliophile bourguignon au xviii siècle: collection de manuscrits du Marquis de Migieu au château de Savigny-les-Beaune (1760). In Revue des bibliothèques 11 (1901), p. 259 (no. 67).
Described in Transformation of knowledge: early manuscripts from the collection of Lawrence J. Schoenberg (London: Paul Holberton, 2006), p. 75 (LJS 215).
- Cited as:
- LJS 215
- Migieu, Anthelme-Michel-Laurent de, marquis de Savigny, 1723-1788, former owner.
Stanitz, John D., former owner.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|