[Kitāb al-Miṣbāḥ wa-nuzʹhat al-arwāḥ fī ʻilm al-miftāḥ fī al-ḥikmah al-Ilāhīyah wa-al-ṣināʻah al-falsafīyah wa al-nātijah al-ʻalīyah] ... [etc.] [manuscript].
- Standardized Title:
- Miṣbāḥ fī ʻilm al-miftāḥ fī al-ḥikmah al-Ilāhīyah wa-al-ṣināʻah al-ḥikmīyah
مصباح في علم المفتاح في الحكمة الالاهية والصناعة الحكمية
- [Aleppo?, Syria, ca. 1562]
128 leaves : paper ; 212 x 155 (165-170 x 110-115) mm. bound to 213 x 160 mm.
- Jābir ibn Ḥayyān.
Alchemy -- Early works to 1800.
Manuscripts, Arabic -- 16th century.
- 14th-century treatise on alchemy based on the work of the 8th-century alchemist and chemist Jābir ibn Ḥayyān, copied in A.H. 970 (1562), followed by a pseudo-Platonic work on alchemy with commentary (tafsīr) attributed to Jābir ibn Ḥayyān. Some marginal notes.
- 1. f.1r-92v: [Kitāb al-Miṣbāḥ wa-nuzʹhat al-arwāḥ fī ʻilm al-miftāḥ fī al-ḥikmah al-Ilāhīyah wa-al-ṣināʻah al-falsafiyyah wa al-nātijah al-ʻaliyyah / ʻIzz al-Dīn Aydamar ibn ʻAlī ibn Aydamar al-Jaldakī]
2. f.93r-128v: [Kitāb Muṣaḥḥaḥāt Aflātūn]
- Ms. codex.
Title for manuscript from title of first and predominant work.
Foliation: Paper, 128; [1-128], modern foliation in pencil, upper left recto. Catchwords on each leaf, lower left recto.
Layout: Written in 21 (f. 1-92) and 27 (f. 93-128) long lines.
Script: Written in a naskh script in the hand of Shams al-Dīn ibn ʻAbbās of Aleppo (f. 1-92) and a second hand (f. 93-128).
Decoration: 3 drawings of plants in red ink (f. 91r-91v), with green coloring added to one of them; penwork in black and red ink around colophon of first work (f. 92v); 2 circular diagrams inside upper cover; some words and sentences written or underlined in red ink, more frequently in the first work (f. 1-92).
Binding: Later morocco, bottom cover blind-stamped with a central medallion, top cover laid with paper decorated with a cut-out pattern.
Origin: Probably written in Aleppo, Syria, ca. 1562 (date of first work, f. 92v).
- Local notes:
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- Penn Provenance:
- Formerly owned by Bektāsh al-Tūqātī and then held in the library of Sultan Selim II (inscription, transcribed by Nicholas Harris, f. 93r).
Sold by Sam Fogg Ltd. (London), Nov. 2002.
Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Cited in:
- Described in Transformation of knowledge: early manuscripts from the collection of Lawrence J. Schoenberg (London: Paul Holberton, 2006), p. 111-112 (LJS 441).
- Cited as:
- LJS 441
- Shams al-Dīn ibn ʻAbbās, scribe.
Tūqātī, ʻUbayd Allāh Bektāsh, former owner.
Selim II, Sultan of the Turks, 1524-1574, former owner.
- Kitāb Muṣaḥḥaḥāt Aflātūn.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|