[Kitāb al-Adwār] [manuscript].
- Standardized Title:
- [Ottoman Empire, 15--]
12 leaves : paper ; 235 x 165 (200 x 135) mm. bound to 244 x 176 mm.
- Music -- Early works to 1800.
Music theory -- Arab countries -- Early works to 1800.
Manuscripts, Arabic -- 16th century.
- Treatise on the theory of music, including division of frets, ratio of intervals, consonance and dissonance, cycles, rhythmic and melodic modes, and the 5-string oud or lute, with an anonymous commentary.
- Ms. codex.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Pagination: Paper, iii + 12 + iii leaves; [1-24]; sporadic modern pagination in pencil, upper right corners.
Layout: Written in 28 long lines, with some diagrams arranged in 2 columns (for example, p. 9-12)
Script: Written in a naskh script.
Decoration: Diagrams and selected characters and words in red ink throughout.
Binding: Rebound in contemporary leather over boards, blind-stamped and blind-tooled.
Origin: Written in the Ottoman Empire in the 16th century.
- Local notes:
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- Penn Provenance:
- Ownership stamps of an early owner (p. 1, 24).
Sold by Sam Fogg Ltd. (London) to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, 1998.
Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
Gift of Barbara Brizdle Schoenberg, 2016.
- Cited in:
- Described in Transformation of knowledge: early manuscripts from the collection of Lawrence J. Schoenberg (London: Paul Holberton, 2006), p. 30-31 (LJS 235).
- Cited as:
- UPenn LJS 235.
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J., former owner.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|