Stilwell and the American experience in China, 1911-45. / Barbara W. Tuchman.
- New York, New York, The Macmillan Company, .
xv, , 621,  p.,  p. of plates illustrations, maps, portaits. 24 cm.
- Stilwell, Joseph Warren, 1883-1946.
World War, 1939-1945 -- China.
United States -- Foreign relations -- China.
China -- Foreign relations -- United States.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York.
- Part One. Foundations of an officer; Visitor to revolution: China, 1911; The Great War: St. Mihiel and Shantung; Assignment to Peking: Years of the Warlords, 1920-23; The "Can Do" Regiment and the rise of Chiang Kai-shek, 1926-29; "Vinegar Joe," 1929-35; Military Attaché: China's last change, 1935-37; Military Attaché: Sino-Japanese War, 1937-39
Part Two. The rush to prepare 1939-41; "I'll go where I'm sent" December 1941-February 1942; "A hell of a beating" March-May 1942; The client June-October 1942; "Peanut and I on a raft" August 1942-January 1943; The President's policy January-May 1943; Stilwell must go June-October 1943; China's hour at Cairo November-December 1943; The road back December 1943-July 1944; "The future of all Asia is at stake" June-September 1944; The limits of "Can Do" September-November 1944; "We ought to get out-Now" 1945-46.
- Map of China on front endpaper; map of Far East on back endpapers.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 541-552) and index.
- Local notes:
- Gotham Book Mart Collection copy has dustjacket retained.
Gotham Book Mart Collection copy is "First Printing".
Gotham Book Mart Collection copy has report by John K. Hutchins reprinted from the Book-of-the-Month Club News laid in.
Potok Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries by Adena Potok.
Potok Collection copy is "First Printing".
Potok Collection copy has underlines, marginal marks and ms. annotations.
- Penn Provenance:
- Gotham Book Mart (former owner) (Gotham Book Mart Collection copy)
Potok, Adena (donor) (Potok Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Gotham Book Mart Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
John Penman Wood Fund.
The Library of Chaim Potok (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|