Von der Gerechtigkeit wider Osiandrum : nützlich zu lesen / durch Math. Flacium Illyr.
- Gedruckt zu Magdeburg : Bey Christian Rödinger, Anno MDLII ... 
 p. ; 22 cm. (4to)
- stie ene- n.nd Wabe (C) 1552 (R)
- Osiander, Andreas, 1498-1552.
Justification (Christian theology) -- Early works to 1800.
Lutheran Church -- Doctrines -- Early works to 1800.
- Place of Publication:
- Germany Magdeburg.
- Tract by Matthias Flacius against Andreas Osiander's idea of justification (justitia imputativa). Osiander had suggested that the believer is not only declared just before God, but is in fact made just through the presence of God's justice, conveyed by faith in Christ.
Imprint from colophon on leaf F1v, which reads: Gedruckt zu Magdeburg, bey Christian Rödinger. Anno M.D.LII. XXIIII. Septembris.
Signatures: A-E⁴ F² (F2 blank).
- Local notes:
- Penn Libraries copy is item no. 11 in a volume of 20 mid-16th-century German Lutheran works (including 1 broadside) opposing the theology of Andreas Osiander bound together as 21 hand-numbered items.
Purchased for the Penn Libraries in 1956.
Penn Libraries copy has a few modern ms. bibliographical notes in pencil on front pastedown and front free endpaper; early ms. numeral ("11") in brown ink at head of title leaf.
Penn Libraries copy bound in contemporary full blind-tooled pig over indented angled-edge wooden boards; left board has central panel with image of Judith carrying a sword and Holofernes' head (with caption: HOLOFERNI CAPVT ABST PER MA IVD 1560) above date 1565, surrounded by a border of smaller rectangular images: Christ (with caption: DATA EST MICHI OM), King David (DE FRVCTV VENTRI [with N reversed]), St. Paul (with caption: APPARVIT BENIGNI [with Ns reversed]), St. John the Baptist (with caption: ECCE ANGNVS [sic] DEI [with Ns reversed]); right board has central panel image of Lucretia (signed: C E[?] 1560 above caption: LVCRETIA MORTEM SIBI ADSCIVIT[?]), surrounded by a similar border of smaller rectangular images; 3 raised bands on spine; 2 leather-and-metal clasps (1 intact) with metal catchplates; evidence of chaining at head of right board.
Penn Libraries copy: a few wormholes in boards, pastedowns and endpapers.
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- VD 16 F 1538
- Rödinger, Christian, d. 1557.
Culture Class Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
German Culture Class Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|