Psalms in the early modern world / edited by Linda Phyllis Austern, Kari Boyd McBride, and David L. Orvis.
- Farnham, Surrey, England ; Burlington, VT : Ashgate, c2011.
xxii, 385 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Bible. O.T. Psalms -- Use -- History.
Bible. O.T. Psalms -- Influence -- Modern civilization.
- Part 1. Communities of worship. Listening to the Psalms among the Huguenots : Simon Goulart as music editor / Richard Freedman
William Byrd's English Psalms / Roger Bray
"For musicke is the handmaid of the Lord" : women, Psalms, and domestic music-making in early modern England / Linda Phyllis Austern
"How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?" : a transatlantic study of the Bay Psalm book / Joanne van der Woude
Part 2. Contested grounds of authority. Miles Coverdale and the claims of paraphrase / Jamie H. Ferguson
Rightful penitence and the publication of Wyatt's Certayne Psalmes / Clare Costley King'oo
Psalm 44 (45) and nuptial spirituality in Juan de Avila's Audi, filia / James F. Melvin
Spenser's equations of his queen with Christ : royal supremacy and royal Psalms / Carol V. Kaske
Part 3. Psalmic voice(s). Re-revealing the Psalms : Mary Sidney, Countess of Pembroke, and her early modern readers / Margaret P. Hannay
Sibling harps : the Sidneys and the Chérons translate the Psalms / Anne Lake Prescott
David's lyre, kabbalah, and the power of music / Don Harrán
Part 4. Generic innovation. Reading her psalter : the Virgin Mary in the N-town play / Penny Granger
The pre-Hispanic poetics of Sahagún's Psalmodia christiana / John F. Schwaller.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Horace Howard Furness Memorial Fund.
- Austern, Linda Phyllis, 1957-
McBride, Kari Boyd.
Orvis, David L.
Horace Howard Furness Memorial Fund.
Horace Howard Furness Memorial Library (University of Pennsylvania)
- 9781409422822 (hardcover)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|