Sociology of the European Union / edited by Adrian Favell and Virginie Guiraudon.
- Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire, UK ; New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2011.
xiv, 266 p. ; 24 cm.
- Social integration -- European Union countries.
European Union countries -- Economic integration.
European Union countries -- Politics and government.
- "Sociology of the European Union examines how core sociological theories, concepts and methods can be applied to the study of the EU. Carefully integrating theory and empirical research, the book: explores key concepts in European studies, such as Europeanization, integration and transnationalism; assesses the social foundations of Europe, from class and citizenship to mobility and culture; includes contributions by internationally renowned names in political, economic and cultural sociology; and contains a postface from George Ross, one of the leading figures in contemporary European Studies. This thought-provoking book opens up new questions and debates whilst introducing readers to essential ideas and cutting-edge research. It is invaluable reading for students of Sociology, European Studies, Politics and International Relations."-- Provided by publisher.
- Machine generated contents note:
Preface / George Ross
Introduction / Adrian Favell and Virginie Guiraudon
The Development of European identity and culture / Juan Diez Medrano
The Europeanization of the economy / Neil Fligstein
European integration from below : free movement in Europe? / Adrian Favell and Ettore Recchi
Social stratification and European integration / Patrick Le Gales, Alberta Andreotti and Franois Bonnet
A sociology of the European media and EU journalism / Olivier Baisne
A Sociological approach to European policies / Frédéric Mérand
Theorizing EU politics and its structures of domination / Niilo Kauppi
Social movements and political elites in the making of EU politics / Virginie Guiraudon
Conclusion : Studying European society and politics / Adrian Favell and Virginie Guiraudon.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 225-255) and index.
- Guiraudon, Virginie.
- 9780230207110 (hbk.)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|