Space, time and number in the brain [electronic resource] : searching for the foundations of mathematical thought : an attention and performance series volume / edited by Stanislas Dehaene and Elizabeth M. Brannon.
- 1st ed.
- San Diego : Elsevier Academic Press, 2011.
- Conference Name:
- International Symposium on Attention and Performance (24th : 2010 : Cernay-la-Ville, France)
- Attention and performance.
Attention and performance series
xii, 361 p. : ill. (some col.)
- Number concept -- Congresses.
Cognitive neuroscience -- Congresses.
Space and time -- Psychological aspects -- Congresses.
Mathematics -- Psychological aspects -- Congresses.
- Electronic books.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- The study of mathematical cognition and the ways in which the ideas of space, time and number are encoded in brain circuitry has become a fundamental issue for neuroscience. How such encoding differs across cultures and educational level is of further interest in education and neuropsychology. This rapidly expanding field of research is overdue for an interdisciplinary volume such as this, which deals with the neurological and psychological foundations of human numeric capacity. A uniquely integrative work, this volume provides a much needed compilation of primary source material to researchers from basic neuroscience, psychology, developmental science, neuroimaging, neuropsychology and theoretical biology. * The first comprehensive and authoritative volume dealing with neurological and psychological foundations of mathematical cognition * Uniquely integrative volume at the frontier of a rapidly expanding interdisciplinary field * Features outstanding and truly international scholarship, with chapters written by leading experts in a variety of fields.
- Section I: Introduction to Mental representations of magnitudes Mental Magnitudes Objects, sets and ensembles Attentional mechanisms for counting in stabilized and in dynamic displays Section II: Introduction to Neural codes for space, time and number Plurality of the brain's spatial representation system Temporal Neuronal Oscillations can Produce Spatial Phase Codes Population Clocks: Motor Timing with Neural Dynamics Discrete neuroanatomical substrates for feedforward versus feedback mechanisms of temporal prediction The neural code for number Section III: Introduction to hared mechanisms, links and metaphors Synaesthesia: A positive cognitive neuroscience approach to studying time, number and space How is number associated with space? The role of working memory Biases in spatial and numerical bisection: a causal link? Compression of the perceptual metric during saccadic eye movements Section IV: Introduction Ontogeny and phylogeny Origins of spatial, temporal and numerical cognition: Insights from animal model systems The approximate number system and the computations it supports as evidenced from a non-human primate model Origins of generalized magnitude representation Section V: Introduction to Development, education and representational change Foundational numerical capacities and the origins of dyscalculia Neurocognitive start-up tools for symbolic number representations Sources of Abstract Concepts: Natural Number and Natural Geometry Geometry as a universal mental construction How languages construct time Improving low-income children's number sense.
1. Mental magnitudes and their transformations
2. Neural codes for space, time and number
3. Shared mechanisms for space, time and number
4. Origins of proto-mathematical intuitions
5. Representational change and education.
- Electronic reproduction. Amsterdam : Elsevier Science & Technology, 2011. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Title from title screen (viewed on July 29, 2011). Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
Papers originally presented at the 24th Attention & Performance symposium, "Space, Time and Number: Cerebral Foundations of Mathematical Intuitions", held from July 6 to 10, 2010, in Vaux de Cernay near Paris.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Dehaene, Stanislas.
ScienceDirect (Online service)
- Other format:
- Print version: Space, time and number in the brain.
- 9780123859488 (electronic bk.)
0123859484 (electronic bk.)
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|