[Student's notebook on arithmetic and algebra] [manuscript].
- [Cambridge?, England, between 1675 and 1685]
139 leaves : paper ; 145 x 94 mm. bound to 150 x 100 mm.
- Algebra -- Early works to 1800.
Arithmetic -- Early works to 1800.
Mathematics -- Early works to 1800.
Manuscripts, Latin -- 17th century.
Manuscripts, English -- 17th century.
- English and Latin.
- Student notebook containing problems copied from standard mathematical works and solved. The sources are Johannes Buteo's Logistica (1559); William Oughtred's Clavis mathematicae (1631) and possibly Gilbert Clerke's Oughtredus explicatus (1682, reference to Oughtred Explayned, f. 55r); and the Fermat-Becher edition of Diophantus (1670).
- Ms. codex.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Collation: Paper, 139; 1¹⁴ (-1, first leaf is pastedown) 2-8¹⁶ 9¹⁶ (-2, last leaf is pastedown); text written from front, f. 1-89, and upside down from end, f. 141-107v.
Script: Written in cursive script by a single hand.
Watermark: Vase with grape cluster and initials G [?].
Binding: Original (late 17th-century) parchment binding, lacking ties; edges sprinkled in red.
Origin: Written in England, possibly Cambridge (Oughtred and Diophantus were used as textbooks in Cambridge from the mid-17th century), likely between 1675 and 1685.
- Local notes:
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- Penn Provenance:
- Formerly owned by Sir Thomas Phillipps (according to H. P. Kraus).
Sold as part of the residue of the Phillipps collection first to William H. Robinson Ltd., 1945, and again to H. P. Kraus, Mar. 1978.
Formerly owned by John D. Stanitz (Cleveland, Ohio), Ms. 14.
Acquired by Lawrence J. Schoenberg with other Stanitz manuscripts, Sept. 1997.
Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
Gift of Barbara Brizdle Schoenberg, 2016.
- Cited in:
- Described in Transformation of knowledge: early manuscripts from the collection of Lawrence J. Schoenberg (London: Paul Holberton, 2006), p. 50 (LJS 183).
- Cited as:
- UPenn LJS 183.
- Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872, former owner.
Stanitz, John D., former owner.
Schoenberg, Lawrence J., former owner.
- Oughtred, William, 1575-1660. Clavis mathematicae.
Diophantus, of Alexandria. Arithmetica.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|