American grown : the story of the White House kitchen garden and gardens across America / Michelle Obama.
- First Edition
- New York : Crown Publishers, [c2012].
271,  pages : illustrations (chiefly color), plans (some color) ; 24 cm
- White House Gardens (Washington, D.C.)
Kitchen gardens -- Washington (D.C.)
Gardening -- United States.
Food habits -- United States.
- Cookbooks -- United States -- 21st century.
Recipes -- United States.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York (City)
- This book is a pictorial guide by Michelle Obama, the First Lady of the United States, that describes how she and her daughters planted a vegetable garden on the White House's South Lawn as part of an initiative to raise awareness about childhood obesity. In February 2010, she launched Let's Move!, a nationwide initiative to address the epidemic of childhood obesity by bringing healthier food into schools and communities, and encouraging kids to be more active. Her book speaks to these issues and also includes practical ideas, recipes, and resources as well as tips on how to begin a garden of any size, anywhere, how to support local farmers' markets, and advice for making healthier food choices.
Garden highlights & recipes.
- "Author proceeds ... will go to the National Park Foundation, the official charity of America's national parks. Funds will be used for programs that promote gardening and healthy eating and give young people the opportunity to experience the outdoors and lead more active lives, as well as for the continued care of the White House Kitchen Garden."--Dustjacket.
"Book design by Marysarah Quinn. Original illustrations, garden plans, and endpaper art by Ken Krug."
Includes bibliographical references (p. 263-266) and index.
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center Banks Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2018 by Joanna Banks.
Banks Collection copy: dustjacket retained.
- Penn Provenance:
- Banks, Joanna (donor) (Banks Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Krug, Ken, illustrator.
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Books (University of Pennsylvania)
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Cookbooks (University of Pennsylvania)
- 9780307956026 :
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|