An impartial history of the life and actions of Peter Alexowitz, the present czar of Muscovy: from his birth down to this present time : giving an account of his travels and transactions in the several courts of Europe; with his attempts and successes in the northern and eastern parts of the world: in which is intermix'd the history of Muscovy / written by A British officer in the service of the Czar.
- Other records:
- London : Printed for W. Chetwood ..., J. Stagg ..., J. Brotherton ..., and T. Edlin ..., MDCCXXIII 
, 420 [i.e. 426],  p. ; 20 cm. (8vo)
- byix r.he n-ch anAs (3) 1723 (R)
- Peter I, Emperor of Russia, 1672-1725.
- Booksellers' advertisements -- England -- London -- 18th century.
- Place of Publication:
- England London.
- Published anonymously. Sometimes attributed to Daniel Defoe (Crossley, Lee, Trent, Hutchins, Moore, Novak). Attribution disputed by Furbank and Owens.
Published 22 November 1722. Cf. Moore.
Advertisement for W. Chetwood ... and T. Edlin on recto of final leaf.
Signatures: [A]1 B-2D⁸ 2E⁴ 2F².
Leaf Q4 is unsigned.
Woodcut headpiece and initial on p..
Duplicate pagination 202-207; the text and register are continuous.
Page 361 misnumbered as 331.
In this edition "Written by a" in the title is in roman and the final line of the imprint reads: "change in the Strand. MDCCXXIII.".
Price from imprint: "Price bound 5s."
- Local notes:
- Culture Class Collection copy left board, front free endpaper, and title page detached.
Culture Class Collection copy has a purchase inscription on recto of front free endpaper which reads "Lib: P. Cowper-- Ex officina Mat: Unwin, Bibliopol: Leices: 1741... The gift of P. Cowper."
- Penn Provenance:
- Cowper, Peter, 1705 or 6-1782 (inscription)
Unwin, Matthew, d. 1786 (former owner)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- ESTC, T72259
Furbank and Owens. Defoe deattributions, 451
Moore, J.R. Checklist of the writings of Daniel Defoe, 451
- Defoe, Daniel, 1661?-1731.
Culture Class Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
English Culture Class Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|