In the beginning / Chaim Potok.
- [1st ed.]
- New York : Alfred A. Knopf : [Distributed by Random House, Inc.], 1975. (Saddle Brook, New Jersey : Printed and bound by American Book-Stratford Press)
, 454,  p. ; 22 cm.
- Jews -- New York (State) -- New York -- Fiction.
Polish Americans -- Fiction.
New York (N.Y.) -- Fiction.
Jewish men -- Fiction.
- Jewish fiction.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York.
United States New Jersey Saddle Brook.
- The novel, set in the Bronx, New York, concerns a gifted Jewish boy who becomes a Biblical scholar. From shortly after birth, in the 1920's, David Lurie is plagued by illnesses that prove to be emblematic of his growing up. He is bullied by bigger boys, haunted by the "accidents" that he brings upon others, safe only within his pious home. David's inner life, tortured with fears and bad dreams is followed through the Depression, which nearly ruins his family; through the late thirties and forties, as the news from Europe grows more and more dreadful; and into his budding years as a scholar.
- "This is a Borzoi Book published by Alfred a. Knopf, Inc."
"This book was set on the Linotype in Granjon, a type named in compliment to Robert Granjon, but neither a copy of a classic face nor an entirely original creation."
"Typography and binding design by Anthea Lingeman."
"Jacket design by Paul Bacon."
- Local notes:
- Potok Collection copy 1 presented to the Penn Libraries in 2017 by Carole and Sam Karsch.
Potok Collection copy 1 has author's dated 20th-century autograph ("Chaim Potok son of Mollie Potok 20 Feb '77") on front free endpaper.
Potok Collection copy 1: dust jacket retained.
Potok Collection copy 2 presented to the Penn Libraries by Adena Potok.
Potok Collection copy 2: dust jacket retained.
- Penn Provenance:
- Karsch, Carole (donor) (Potok Collection copy 1)
Karsch, Sam (donor) (Potok Collection copy 1)
Potok, Chaim (autograph) (Potok Collection copy 1)
Potok, Adena (donor) (Potok Collection copy 2)
- Penn Chronology:
- Lingeman, Anthea.
Bacon, Paul, 1923-2015.
Potok Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
- 0394499603 :
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|