The winning of Barbara Worth / by Harold Bell Wright ... with four illustrations by F. Graham Cootes.
- Other records:
- New York : A. L. Burt Company, 1911.
511 pages : illustrations ; 20 cm
- Desert reclamation -- California -- Fiction.
Pictorial cloth bindings (Binding)
Publishers' cloth bindings (Binding)
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York.
- Barbara Worth, the adopted daughter of a benevolent capitalist, dreams of turning California's Imperial Valley into a fertile land. Her dream goes awry when the reclamation is begun by a corporation which cares only for profit, and not for safety. During her battle with greedy land barons, she falls in love with a young engineer from the East.
- Into the infinite long ago
Jefferson Worth's opening
Miss Barbara Worth
You'd better make it ninety
What the Indian told the seer
The standard of the west
Don't you like my desert, Mr. Holmes?
Why Willard Holmes stayed
The master passion
Barbara's love for the seer
Abe Lee resigns
Signs of conflict
Barbara's call to her friends
Much confusion and happy excitement
Barbara comes into her own
Jefferson Worth's operations
James Greenfield seeks an advantage
The game progresses
Gathered at Barbara's court
What the stakes revealed
Pablo brings news to Barbara
Gathering on ominous forces
Exacting royal tribute
Jefferson Worth goes for help
Willard Holmes on trial
Held in suspense
Abe Lee's ride to save Jefferson Worth
What the company man told the Mexicans
Tell Barbara I'm all right
Manana! Manana! To-morrow! To-morrow!
Barbara's waitin' breakfast for you
Barbara ministers to the wounded
Willard Holmes receives his answer
Battling with the river
Nature and human nature
Out of the hollow of God's hand
Back to the old San Felipe trail
The heritage of Barbara Worth.
- Local notes:
- Bound in green cloth; cover has illustration of woman in western attire.
RBC copy presented to the Penn Libraries by Kathryn Hyde.
- Penn Provenance:
- Hyde, Kathryn (donor) (RBC copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cootes, F. Graham, illustrator.
A.L. Burt Company, publisher.
- Other format:
- Online version: Wright, Harold Bell, 1872-1944. Winning of Barbara Worth.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|