Women in Africa and the African diaspora / edited by Rosalyn Terborg-Penn, Sharon Harley, Andrea Benton Rushing.
- Washington, D.C. : Howard University Press, 1987.
xxi, , 234 pages ; 25 cm
- Women -- Africa -- Social conditions -- Congresses.
Feminism -- Africa -- Congresses.
African American women -- Social conditions -- Congresses.
Women, Black -- Social conditions -- Congresses.
- Place of Publication:
- United States Washington (D.C.)
- Overview Women in the African Diaspora: An Overview of an Interdisciplinary Research Conference / Rosalyn Terborg-Penn
Part I. Theoretical Approaches and Reserch Methods. African Feminism: A Worldwide perspective / Filomina Chioma Steady; "The Status of Women" in Indigenous African Societies / Niara Sudarkasa; African Feminism: A Theoretical Approach to the History of Women in the African Diaspora / Rosalyn Terborg-Penn; Anthropological Research Methods for the Study of Blalck Women in the Caribbean / A. Lynn Bolles; Psychological Research Methods: Women in the African Diaspora / Saundra Rice Murray
Part II. Women and New Roles in African Societies. Privilege Without Power: Women in African Cults and Churches / Bennetta Jules-Rosette; Afro-American Women Missionaries Confront the African Way of Life / Sylvia M. Jacobs; Extended Family Involvement and Roles of Urban Kenyan Women / Harriette Pipes McAdoo and Miriam Were
Part III. Black Women in Folk Culture and Literature. African Diaspora Women: The Making of Cultural Workers / Bernice Johnson Reagon; The Black Female Presence in Black Francophone Literautre / Karen Smyley Wallace; God's Divas: Women Singers in African-American Poetry / Andrea Benton Rushing; Images of Black Women in New World Literature: A Comparative Approach / Martha K. Cobb
Conclusion: Research Priorities for the Study of Women in Africa and the African Diaspora / Sharon Harley.
- Includes papers presented at the meeting, Women in the African Diaspora: an Interdisciplinary Perspective, sponsored by the Association of Black Women Historians, and held June 12-14, 1983 at Howard University.
"Jacket design by James Thorpe."
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center Banks Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2018 by Joanna Banks.
Banks Collection copy: dustjacket retained.
Banks Collection copy inscribed "Joanna Banks, In the struggle. Sharon Harley 1991".
- Penn Provenance:
- Banks, Joanna (donor) (inscription) (Banks Collection copy)
Harley, Sharon (autograph) (Banks Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Terborg-Penn, Rosalyn, editor.
Harley, Sharon, editor.
Rushing, Andrea Benton, editor.
Association of Black Women Historians (U.S.), sponsoring organization.
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Books (University of Pennsylvania)
- 0882581716 :
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|