The immigration & education nexus : a focus on the context & consequences of schooling / edited by David A. Urias.
- Other Title:
- Immigration and education nexus
Focus on the context & consequences of schooling
Focus on the context and consequences of schooling
- Rotterdam ; Boston : Sense Publishers, ©2012.
- Comparative and international education (Sense Publishers) ; v. 12.
Comparative and international education: a diversity of voices ; v. 12
viii, 270 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- Immigrants -- Education.
Immigrants -- Education -- Social aspects.
Minorities -- Education.
Minorities -- Education -- Social aspects.
- The focus of this edited volume is on immigration's effect on schooling and the consequential aspect of illegal immigration's effect. To understand immigration (legal and undocumented) and K-16 education in Asia, Europe, and the US is to situate both within the broader context of globalization. This volume presents a timely and poignant analysis of the historical, legal, and demographic issues related to immigration with implications for education and its interdisciplinary processes.
- Introduction / David A. Urias
Section I. Contextual overview of immigration and schooling
The need for global consciousness : debate on globalization, migration, and education / Barbara T. Schröttner
Global movements in education and their impact on diverse students / Tom Stritikus and Manka M. Varghese
Strategic identity negotiation : understanding the complexities of immigrant youth in schools / Diem Nguyen and Tom Stritikus
Exclusionary structure or cultural clash, why do immigrants dropout? : A comparison of one group in two different countries / Melissa Ford Lucken
Mapping immigrant student attrition from higher education through a deictic conceptual model / Mariam Orkodashvili
Hispanic students and the growth of the U.S. public schools : 1900-2008 / Richard R. Verdugo
Section II. Broader issues and trends
Being "here" and "there" : the impact of globalization on Pakistani students at Sawyer High School / Melissa G. Fischer
Tools for discourse analysis : critiquing newspaper coverage of Arizona's immigrant rights controversy / Lynne Díaz-Rico
Developing intercultural competencies : classroom interventions in London schools / Dina Mehmedbegovic
If we are good citizens, they will recognize us : the effects of immigration status on the educational motivation of undocumented youth / Aliah Carolan-Silva and J. Roberto Reyes
Immigrant identities in transnational contexts : the figured world of a New York City English literacy and civics education classroom / Dina Lopez
From they are Japs to we are returnees : crafting identities within and across transnational contexts / Satoko Shao-Kobayashi and Carol N. Dixon
The social costs of labor migration and global recession on Brazilian schools in Japan : rethinking minority school education / Thiago Amaral Minami The need for multicultural education in South Korea / Stephanie K. Kim and Lupita H.R. Kim
The deculturalization of Hissuh and her children : the portrait of a Muslim mother's struggle to participate in the education decision-making of her children in American schools / Vanessa Allen-Brown, Pamela Twyman Hoff and Fawzeyah Alawadhi.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Frances Baylinson Rosenbluth Fund.
- Urias, David A., editor.
Frances Baylinson Rosenbluth Fund.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|