Ritual and the moral life : reclaiming the tradition / edited by David Solomon, Ping-Cheung Lo and Ruiping Fan.
- Dordrecht ; New York : Springer Verlag, c2012.
- Philosophical studies in contemporary culture ; v. 21.
Philosophical studies in contemporary culture ; v. 21
viii, 297 p. ; 24 cm.
- Ritual -- Philosophy.
Ritualism -- Philosophy.
Rites and ceremonies -- Philosophy.
Confucianism -- Rituals.
- "In the twentieth century, in both China and the West, ritual became marginalized in the face of the growth of secularism and individualism. In China, Confucianism and its essentially ritualistic comportment to the world were vigorously suppressed during the Cultural Revolution (1966-1976) under Mao Zedong. But de-ritualization already took place as a result of the Chinese Revolution of 1911 under Sun Yat-Sen. In the West, while the process of de-ritualization has been generally more gradual, it has been nonetheless drastic. In contrast to this situation, this volume investigates the crucial role ritual plays in constituting the human understanding of their place in the cosmos, the purpose of their lives, and imbues human existence with a more complete sense of meaningfulness. This volume presents the work of philosophers from both China and the West as they reflect upon the constitutive role that ritual plays in human life. They reflect not only on ritual in general but also on specific Confucian and Christian appreciations of ritual."--Publisher's website.
- Ritual as a cardinal category of moral reality: an introduction / David Solomon, Ping-Cheung Lo, Ruiping Fan, and H. Tristram Engelhardt Jr.
Ritual, virtue, and the pursuit of the holy. Ritual as the creation of social reality / Ana Iltis
Ritual, virtue, and human flourishing / H. Tristram Engelhardt, Jr.
Ritual as education concerning social space and time / Mark Cherry
Why the west spurns medical ritual / Griffin Trotter
Confucian insights: ritual as the fabric of the moral community. Ritual: meaning and recognition / Tangjia Wang
An analysis of the consciousness of filial piety through the time horizon / Xianglong Zhang
Confucian rites of passage: a comparative analysis of Zhu Xi's family rituals / Ping-cheung Lo
Confucian ritualization: how and why / Ruiping Fan
Ritual and tradition as challenge to modernity. Cultural and philosophical resistance to ritual in the modern world / David Solomon
In favour of the disadvantaged: ritual in Xunzi and the modern world / Daniel Bell
Ritual, harmony and peace and order / Jonathan Chan
The traditional ritual project. Ritual, society and community / George Khushf
Christian and Confucian cultural renewal: the role of ritual / Corinna Delkeskamp-Hayes.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Solomon, David.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|