[Treatise on practical mathematical calculation] [manuscript].
- [Italy, between 1475 and 1499]
10 leaves : paper ; 415 x 290 (270 x 180) mm. bound to 420 x 300 mm.
- Arithmetic -- Early works to 1900.
Mathematics -- Early works to 1800.
Banks and banking -- Italy.
Merchants -- Italy.
Manuscripts, Italian -- 15th century.
- Beginning of a survey of practical applications of mathematics (abacho), algebra (alghorismo), and geometry (fighura) for commercial purposes such as banking or trade, in a larger format than most commercial mathematical manuscripts; missing leaves at end. Spaces left for initials ranging from 3 to 8 lines in height.
- Ms. codex.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Incipit: [I]l volere sapere il prosimo di ciaschuno auto sanza danno ... (f. 1r; first omitted initial and first word uncertain).
Foliation: Paper, 10; [1-10], modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto. Single vertical catchword (f. 9v).
Layout: Written in 43-46 long lines.
Script: Written in a cursive script by a single hand.
Watermark: Similar to Briquet Aigle 81-90 (Tuscany, 1475-1507).
Binding: 19th-century marbled pasteboard with parchment spine and pastedowns of printed leaves from a 19th-century archaeological work.
Origin: Written in Italy in the last quarter of the 15th century (Sotheby's).
- Local notes:
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- Penn Provenance:
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 6 Jul. 2010, lot 28, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- Cited as:
- Oversize LJS 496
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|