[Pattern-book of bridles and bits] [manuscript].
- [Germany, 16--]
49 leaves : paper ; 400 x 273 mm. bound to 400 x 280 mm.
- Animal culture -- Early works to 1800.
Bridles -- Early works to 1800.
Horsemanship -- Equipment and supplies -- Early works to 1800.
Drawings (visual works)
Manuscripts, German -- 17th century.
- Collection of approximately 45 drawings of bridles, curbs, and bits, mostly on recto, with no text.
- Ms. codex.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Collation: Paper, 49; 1¹⁰ 2⁴(+1) 3-4¹² 5¹⁰.
Layout: Most pages ruled with 3 verticals and various horizontals, in lead.
Decoration: Approximately 45 line drawings in ink over lead, some with cross-hatching added in ink.
Watermarks: Lily with leaf on either side of stem; 2 crossed arrows with 6-pointed star; 5-step ladder with 6-pointed star; letter R.
Binding: Modern brown paper board; a few of the largest drawings slightly affected by trimming at bottom edge (f. 1-3).
Origin: Drawn in Germany (Sotheby's) in the 17th century.
- Local notes:
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- Penn Provenance:
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 26 June 1998, lot 441, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- Cited in:
- Described in Transformation of knowledge: early manuscripts from the collection of Lawrence J. Schoenberg (London: Paul Holberton, 2006), p. 129 (LJS 272).
- Cited as:
- LJS 272
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|