[Mathematical notes] [manuscript].
- [France, after 1789]
6 leaves : paper ; 260 x 416 mm., 324 x 410 mm.
- Mathematics -- Early works to 1800.
Algebra -- Early works to 1800.
Geometry -- Early works to 1800.
Manuscripts, French -- 18th century.
- 3 disbound smaller bifolia with notes and problems concerning geometrical construction, spherical geometry, and the theory of proportion; and 3 disbound larger bifolia with advanced algebra notes employing cubic and quadratic equations.
- Ms. leaves.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Collation: Paper, 6 bifolia; 3 smaller bifolia have contemporary numeration 1-3, upper right recto of first leaf.
Script: Written in cursive script by a single hand.
Decoration: Small geometrical diagrams in ink in the margins of the smaller bifolia.
Watermarks: GT with a small heart between the 2 initials (geometry notes, smaller bifolia); G. Touchard/Marché 1789 with countermark of bunch of grapes and O. Overard en Marché with countermark of 1781 (cubic and quadratic equations, larger bifolia)
Origin: Written in France after 1789 (later date in watermarks).
- Local notes:
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- Penn Provenance:
- Possible ownership inscription, M. Baumann, on one of the larger bifolia.
Formerly owned by Sir Thomas Phillipps (Kraus).
Sold as part of the residue of the Phillipps collection first to William H. Robinson Ltd., 1945, and again to H.P. Kraus, Mar. 1978, ms. 842.
Formerly owned by John D. Stanitz (Cleveland, Ohio), Ms. 12.
Acquired by Lawrence J. Schoenberg with other Stanitz manuscripts, Sept. 1997.
Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
Gift of Barbara Brizdle Schoenberg, 2016.
- Cited in:
- Described in Transformation of knowledge: early manuscripts from the collection of Lawrence J. Schoenberg (London: Paul Holberton, 2006), p. 51 (LJS 181).
- Cited as:
- UPenn Oversize LJS 181.
- Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872, former owner.
Kraus, Hans Peter, 1907-1988, former owner.
Stanitz, John D., former owner.
Schoenberg, Lawrence J., former owner.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|