Letter concerning the forge of Ruelle, 1776 August 9.
- 1776 August 9.
1 item (1 bifolium)
- France. Marine -- History -- 18th century.
Technology -- Early works to 1800.
Iron industry and trade -- France -- History -- 18th century.
Ordnance, Naval -- Early works to 1800.
France -- History -- Louis XVI, 1774-1793.
- Manuscripts, French -- 18th century.
- In French.
- Letter written from Versailles, 9 August 1776, to the contrôleur général des finances (position held by Jean Étienne Bernard Ogier de Clugny, May-October 1776) concerning the forge of Ruelle. The writer recounts that the forge was sold by the Marquis de Montalembert to the Comte d'Artois (later Charles X) in 1774 and that it was used for the manufacture of cannons and mortars for the French Navy. The Comte d'Artois ceded the forge to Louis XVI in 1776, which transfer may have been underway at the time of this letter. With two contemporary notes, one at the close of the letter, perhaps added by the author, whose signature is illegible, to a letter written by a secretary; and one at the top of the letter in yet another hand redirecting it to Monsieur de Beaumont, dated 11 August 1776. By the same author as LJS 180, Item 22 and Item 23.
- Local notes:
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- Penn Provenance:
- Separated from manuscript formerly owned by Sir Thomas Phillipps, ms. 18507 (note in pencil, Kraus?).
Sold as part of the residue of the Phillipps collection first to William H. Robinson Ltd., 1945, and again to Hans Peter Kraus, Mar. 1978; part of Kraus's ms. 836.
Formerly owned by John D. Stanitz (Cleveland, Ohio), as part of Ms. 11.
Acquired by Lawrence J. Schoenberg with other Stanitz manuscripts, Sept. 1997.
Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
Gift of Barbara Brizdle Schoenberg, 2016.
- Cited as:
- UPenn LJS 180.
- Ogier de Clugny, Jean Étienne Bernard, recipient.
Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872, former owner.
Kraus, Hans Peter, 1907-1988, former owner.
Stanitz, John D., former owner.
Schoenberg, Lawrence J., former owner.
- Contained In:
- Industrial History Letters and Documents. Item 21
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|