Radio rhythms [videorecording] / Paramount Pictures.
- [S.I. : s.n., 20--].
1 videodisc (85 min.) : sd., b&w ; 4 3/4 in.
- Musical films -- United States.
Short films -- United States.
- System Details:
- Eight mini musicals featuring radio stars.
During the "dawn of sound", musical short subjects were the hors d'oeuvre before the main feature, and an effective means for the studio to test their freshly signed talent in front of the camera. Aggressively pursuing the top singers, songwriters and musicians of Tin Pan Alley, Paramount's roster of contract players was composed of some of the top names in the world of entertainment. This volume of musical shorts includes emerging radio stars whose cinematic talents were testing (Bing Crosby in "I Surrender Dear"; Rudy Vallee in "Radio Rhythm"), songwriters who could see their own material (Hoagy Carmichael in a self-titled film and Mack Gordon and Harry Revel plugging an upcoming production in "Hollywood Rhythm") and two singers whose stormy off-screen lives became the basis for hit movies: Ruth Etting in "Favorite Melodies" and Lillian Roth in "Meet The Boyfriend". There's also a two-edge homage to that icon of thirties naughtiness, Betty Boop, with appearances by Betty's prototype "Boop-a-Doop Girl" Helen Kane ("A Lesson In Love"), and Betty's actual voice, Mae Questel ("Musical Justice" with a cameo by Ms Boop herself).--Back of container
- A lesson in love (11 min.) / a Paramount picture ; written by J.R. Murray, Barry Trivers and Ben Oakland ; directed by Casey Robinson
Hollywood rhythm (10 min.) / a Paramount picture ; Adolph Zukor presents ; directed by Herbert Moulton ; story by Herman Hoffman and Ralph Huston
Hoagy Carmichael (10 min.) / a Paramount picture ; directed by Leslie Roush
Favorite melodies (7 min.) / a Paramount picture ; Adolph Zukor & Jesse L. Lasky present
Radio rhythm (10 min.) / a Paramount picture ; Adolph Zukor & Jesse L. Lasky present ; directed by Joseph Santley
Musical justice (11 min.) / a Paramount picture ; directed by Aubrey Scotto ; story and music by Samuel Lerner and Samuel Timberg
Meet the boyfriend (6 min.) / a Paramount picture ; directed by Norman Taurog
I surrender dear (21 min.) / a Paramount picture ; Atlantic Pictures Corporation ; directed by Mack Sennett.
- Lesson in love: Helen Kane; Hollywood rhythm: Mack Gordon, Harry Revel; Hoagy Carmichael: Jack Teagarden, Meredith Blake; Favorite melodies: Ruth Etting; Radio rhythm and Musical justice: Rudy Vallee and his Connecticut Yankees; Meet the boyfriend: Lillian Roth; I surrender dear: Bing Crosby.
- I surrender dear: director, Mack Sennett.
- A lesson in love, Musical justice, and I surrender dear originally released as motion pictures in 1931, Hollywood rhythm in 1934, Hoagy Carmichael in 1939, Favorite melodies in 1929, Meet the boyfriend in 1930.
- Local notes:
- Presented to the Penn Libraries by Harvey Sheldon.
- Penn Provenance:
- Sheldon, Harvey (donor)
- Kane, Helen. , Performer
Gordon, Mack, 1904-1959 , Performer
Revel, Harry, 1905-1958 , Performer
Teagarden, Jack, 1905-1964 , Performer
Etting, Ruth, 1897-1978. , Performer
Vallée, Rudy, 1901-1986. , Performer
Roth, Lillian, 1910-1980 , Performer
Crosby, Bing, 1903-1977. , Performer
Harvey Sheldon Jewish American Music Video Research Library (University of Pennsylvania)
Connecticut Yankees. , Performer
Paramount Pictures Corporation (1914-1927). , Producer
- Lesson in love.
Meet the boyfriend.
I surrender dear.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|