Sidewalk [videorecording] / a film by Mitchell Duneier & Barry Alexander Brown with photographs by Ovie Carter.
- [Princeton, N.J. : Princeton University, 201-?]
1 videodisc (165 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in.
- Duneier, Mitchell -- Film adaptations.
Street vendors -- New York (State) -- New York.
Street vendors -- United States.
Tramps -- New York (State) -- New York.
Tramps -- United States.
City and town life -- New York (State) -- New York.
City and town life -- United States.
- Documentary films.
- System Details:
- "It has been a decade and a half since a streetcorner book vendor and intellectual named Hakim Hasan introduced Mitchell Duneier to the people he came to write about in the book Sidewalk (1999). Now Duneier has collaborated with director Barry Alexander Brown and photographer Ovie Carter to provide a visual presentation that begins where the book ended. It updates the stories of Ron, Mudrick, Ishmael, Butteroll, and other unhoused vendors on Sixth Avenue in Greenwich Village, showing what happened as they struggled in the wake of new economic and political realities, including those associated with September 11, 2001. It also contains footage from an interview Duneier did with Jane Jacobs, her last before she died in 2006. The DVD also contains a panel discussion about the film with Cornel West and Kim Hopper at the American Sociological Association's annual meeting; and Duneier's introductory lecture on ethnographic method, in which two sidewalk vendors visit his Princeton class."--Container.
- Sidewalk (60 min) - Method: Sidewalk and ethnography(50 min) - Vendors visit Mitch Duneier's class(22 min) - Commentary by Kim Hopper(18 min) - Commentary by Cornel West(15 min)
- Written by Mitchell Duneier ; directed by Barry Alexander Brown ; editor, K.A. Chisholm ; photography, Ovie Carter ; original score by Howard Drossin.
- DVD release of the 2007 documentary film.
Based on the book "Sidewalk" by Mitchell Duneier.
"Supported by the National Science Foundation's Program on 'Strengthing Qualitative Research through Methodological Innovation and Integration'"--Container.
- Brown, Barry Alexander. , Director
Duneier, Mitchell. , Screenwriter
Carter, Ovie. , Cinematographer
Drossin, Howard. , Composer
West, Cornel. , Commentator
Hopper, Kim. , Commentator
Jacobs, Jane, 1916-2006. , Interviewee
Duneier, Mitchell. , Author
National Science Foundation (U.S.) , Producer
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|