Kāśīkhaṇḍa, 1758. = काशीखण्ड, १७५८.
- Standardized Title:
- Puranas. Skandapurāṇa. Kāśīkhaṇḍa.
1 item (172 leaves) : paper ; 17 x 33 cm.
Siva (Hindu deity).
Devotional literature, Sanskrit.
Pilgrims and pilgrimages -- India.
Sacred space -- India.
Kārttikeya (Hindu deity).
Vārānasi (Uttar Pradesh, India).
Manuscripts, Sanskrit -- 18th century.
Manuscripts -- India -- 18th century.
- In Sanskrit (Devanāgarī)
- Manuscript employed for consultation and contemplation, highlighting especially the sacred pilgrimage spots around the Hindu center of Vārāṇasī. Text also contains mythology connected to various gods and goddesses, especially those sacred to the deity Śiva in his manifestation as a liṅga, his amorphous symbol. Presented as a discourse between the deity Skanda-Kārttikeya and various other legendary figures, such as the sage Agstya. Manuscript contains 100 chapters, but is missing some folios throughout; some of the text is written in what is likely a second scribal hand. Manuscript contains a commentary by Rāmānanda running horizontally above and below the main text.
- Title from colophon (f. 174r).
Written in 11-21 lines per leaf.
172 leaves foliated 1-13, 15-19, 21-31, 24-31, 38-60, 62-120, 122-174, upper left and lower right verso.
Colophon: Colophon: iti śrīskaṃdapurāṇe kāśīkhaṃḍe anukramaṇikānāmaśattamodhyāyaḥ 100 śrīśivārpaṇam astu kāśīkhaṃdasamāptaḥ // (f. 174r).
Dated saṃvat 1815 (1758) (f. 174r).
Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with two double black lines. Second scribal hand has supplied some of the missing folios and ineffectively refoliated some of the existing foliation obscuring the original.
Non-Latin script record.
- Cited in:
- Listed in H. I. Poleman, Census of Indic Manuscripts in the United States and Canada (New Haven, Conn.: American Oriental Society, 1938), Poleman 1508 (UP 2357).
- Cited as:
- UPenn Ms. Coll. 390, Item 2357
- Rāmānanda (son of Rāmendravana).
- Contained In:
- Collection of Indic Manuscripts. Item 2357
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|