"She's too smart to have ADHD": Faculty willingness to accommodate students with ADHD at elite postsecondary institutions [electronic resource].
- Education, Higher
Education, Higher -- Administration
- Local subjects:
- System Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Students with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) are entering college in increasing numbers. Often, these students have difficulty adjusting to the rigors of college as well as their newly found independence. Students with ADHD at elite colleges and universities face additional pressure to perform, as well as to substantiate their disability diagnosis. Faculty may have apprehensions about the students' ability to perform as well as concerns regarding the academic integrity issues they may associate with the provision of accommodations to this population of students.
This study is designed to improve our understanding of faculty members' attitudes towards students with ADHD in their classroom and their willingness to provide the necessary academic accommodations for these students. In this dissertation, I use descriptive and multivariate analysis to examine faculty willingness to provide accommodations for students with ADHD and the effect that gender, rank, field of study and personal experience with ADHD may have on their actions. The results of this study will be used to identify professional development opportunities and institutional support that may best assist faculty members in creating a positive educational experience for college students with ADHD. The findings may also be used to create a program for faculty that will enhance faculty knowledge of ADHD and encourage their acceptance of students with ADHD in their classrooms.
- Source: Dissertation Abstracts International, Volume: 72-07, Section: A, page: 2293.
Adviser: Laura W. Perna.
Thesis (Ed.D.)--University of Pennsylvania, 2011.
- Local notes:
- School code: 0175.
- University of Pennsylvania.
- Contained In:
- Dissertation Abstracts International 72-07A.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|