[Prayers and commentary] [manuscript].
- [Turkey], A.H. 889 (1484)
221 leaves : paper ; 140 x 100 (83 x 62) mm. bound to 140 x 112 mm.
- Islam -- Prayers and devotions -- Early works to 1800.
Manuscripts, Arabic -- 15th century.
Manuscripts, Turkish -- 15th century.
- Arabic, with commentary in Ottoman Turkish.
- Collection of prayers in Arabic, each preceded by a commentary in Ottoman Turkish, with a diagram (f. 217v) and information at the end for calculating the direction of Mecca from different latitudes. Sections of copious marginal notes at the end of the manuscript (f. 185r-186r, 192r-201v, 208r-209v, 216v-220r). Later notes and pen trials in naskh script on front flyleaf.
- Ms. codex.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Collation: Paper, i + 221; 1⁶ 2¹² 3⁸ 4¹² 5⁸ 6¹² 7⁸ 8¹²(-2) 9⁸ 10⁷ 11-12⁶ 13-15¹⁰ 16⁸ 17-19¹⁰ 20¹² 21⁸ 22² 23⁸ 24² 25⁸ 26¹⁰; 1-108, [i], 109-220, later European foliation in ink, upper left recto. Catchwords on each leaf, lower left verso.
Layout: Written in 11 long lines, text block framed in ink.
Script: Written in naskh script by Ilyās ibn Khamzah ʻAlī Niyat ʻAlī ibn Khamzah (colophon, f. 220r).
Decoration: Black or red woodcut fillet border on each page; headings and significant words or phrases in red or green ink; some leaves stained yellow or red.
Binding: Morocco with flap on back cover, with gilt stamped medallions on covers and flap; labels on spine; description of manuscript in German on note pasted to inside upper cover.
Origin: Written in Turkey, Ṣafar A.H. 889 (March 1484; colophon, f. 220r).
- Local notes:
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- Penn Provenance:
- Formerly owned by Johann Michael Schiller, 1655 (inscription inside lower cover; another 17th-century inscription on the inside lower cover is not legible).
Formerly owned by Leander van Ess; sold as part of his collection in 1823 to Sir Thomas Phillipps, ms. 757 (spine label, stamp and number in ink on f. 1 recto).
Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 26 Nov. 1968, lot 245, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
Gift of Barbara Brizdle Schoenberg, 2016.
- Cited as:
- UPenn LJS 38.
- Ilyās ibn Khamzah ʻAlī Niyat ʻAlī ibn Khamzah, scribe.
Schiller, Johann Michael, 17th cent., former owner.
Ess, Leander van, 1772-1847, former owner.
Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872, former owner.
Schoenberg, Lawrence J., former owner.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|