Crockett Johnson and Ruth Krauss : how an unlikely couple found love, dodged the FBI, and transformed children's literature / Philip Nel.
- Jackson : University Press of Mississippi, c2012.
- Children's literature association series
367 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
- Johnson, Crockett, 1906-1975.
Children's literature, American -- History and criticism.
- Place of Publication:
- United States Mississippi Jackson.
- Crockett Johnson (born David Johnson Leisk, 1906-1975) and Ruth Krauss (1901-1993) were a husband-and-wife team that created such popular children's books as The Carrot Seed and How to Make an Earthquake. Separately, Johnson created the enduring children's classic Harold and the Purple Crayon and the groundbreaking comic strip Barnaby. Krauss wrote over a dozen children's books illustrated by others, and pioneered the use of spontaneous, loose-tongued kids in children's literature. Together, Johnson and Krauss's style--whimsical writing, clear and minimalist drawing, and a child's point-of-view transformed children's literature.
- Ruth Krauss's charmed childhood
Becoming Crockett Johnson
Portrait of the artist as a young woman
Punching the clock and turning left
Crockett and the red crayon
"We met, and that was it!"
A good man and his good wife
The Athens of South Norwalk
Art and politics
At home with Ruth and Dave
The big world and the little house
Artists are to watch
The art of collaboration
Striking out into new areas of experimentation
New adventures of Page and Screen
"Hitting on all 24 cylinders"
Poet in the news, cartoonist on TV
Lorca variations and Harold's ABC
Provocateur and philosopher
Painting, passports, and protest
Theorems in color, poems on stage
"You're only as old as other people think you are"
What would Harold do?
Life after Dave
Children are to love.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 303-340) and index.
- Penn Provenance:
- Toccafondi, David, C'95 (donor) (Toccafondi copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- David Toccafondi, Dan Sung and Joshua O'Neill Collection of Comics and Graphic Novels (University of Pennsylvania)
Comics Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
- 9781617036248 (cloth : alk. paper)
1617036242 (cloth : alk. paper)
9781617036361 (pbk. : alk. paper)
1617036366 (pbk. : alk. paper)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|