Uncle Vanya [videorecording] / by Anton Chekhov ; producer, Cedric Messina ; directed by Christopher Morahan ; BBC TV. Uncle Vanya / by Anton Chekhov ; adapted by David Mamet ; producer, Simon Curtis ; director, Gregory Mosher ; a BBC production in association with WNET New York.
- [London] : 2/entertain : BBC Video ; Burbank, Calif. : Distributed in the USA and Canada by Warner Bros. Video, 
- Anton Chekhov collection ; disc 4.
Anton Chekhov collection ; disc 4
1 videodisc (255 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in.
- Chekhov, Anton Pavlovich, 1860-1904 -- Television adaptations.
Chekhov, Anton Pavlovich, 1860-1904 -- Film adaptations.
Chekhov, Anton Pavlovich, 1860-1904 -- Criticism and interpretation.
Midlife crisis -- Russia -- 19th century -- Drama.
Unrequited love -- Russia -- 19th century -- Drama.
Man-woman relationships -- Russia -- 19th century -- Drama.
- Television adaptations.
Motion pictures, Great Britain.
Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
- In English, with optional English SDH subtitles.
- System Details:
- DVD, NTSC; region 1; mono ; double-sided disc.
- Vanya is a bitter, sarcastic man, obsessed with his wasted years and what might have been. He has spent his life toiling for the benefit of the scholar, Serabryakov, who has turned out to be a charlatan. To make matters worse, Vanya has fallen in love with Serabryakov's beautiful, young, new wife, who does not return his ardor. In a 1987 Bookmark episode called A visit from Vanya, Oleg Efremov (director of the Moscow Art Theater on a visit to Oxford) rehearses and discusses scenes from Chekhov plays with director David Jones, and with Russian, British and U.S. actors & directors.
- side A. Uncle Vanya (ca. 126 min. ; Nov. 8, 1970)
side B. Uncle Vanya (ca. 129 min. ; Oct. 12, 1991).
- 1970 version: Freddie Jones, Anthony Hopkins, Ann Bell, Roland Culver; 1991 ver.: Ian Holm, David Warner, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Ian Bannen, Rebecca Pidgeon.
- 1970 version: translated by Elisaveta Fen ; 1991 version: music, Jeremy Sams.
- Originally broadcast on television on Stage 2 in 1970 and on Performance in 1991.
Extras (side B): A visit from Vanya / producer, Richard Denton ; host, David Jones (ca. 50 min. ; 1987).
- Morahan, Christopher. , Director
Mosher, Gregory. , Director
Jones, David, 1934-2008. , Host, Director
Messina, Cedric. , Producer
Curtis, Simon, 1960- , Producer
Denton, Richard. , Producer
Mamet, David. , Adapter
Jones, Freddie, 1927-2019 , Actor
Hopkins, Anthony, 1937- , Actor
Bell, Ann, 1939- , Actor
Culver, Roland, 1900-1984. , Actor
Warner, David, 1941- , Actor
Holm, Ian, 1931- , Actor
Mastrantonio, Mary Elizabeth. , Actor
Bannen, Ian, 1928-1999. , Actor
Pidgeon, Rebecca. , Actor
Efremov, Oleg. , Interviewee
Chekhov, Anton Pavlovich, 1860-1904. , Author
Sams, Jeremy. , Composer
British Broadcasting Corporation. , Producer
WNET (Television station : New York, N.Y.) , Producer
2 Entertain Video (Firm) , Producer
BBC Video (Firm) , Producer
Warner Home Video (Firm). , Distributor
- Uncle Vanya (Television program : 1991)
Visit from Vanya [videorecording]
- Publisher Number:
3000015811 BBC Video (container)
2000002469 BBC Video (disc)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|