1950's "rocketman" TV series and their fans : cadets, rangers, and junior space men / edited by Cynthia J. Miller and A. Bowdoin Van Riper.
- 1st ed.
- New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2012.
xxiv, 270 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Science fiction television programs -- United States.
Television programs -- Social aspects -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
Popular culture -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- "This volume takes readers back - to the days before astronauts like John Glenn, Alan Shepard, and Neil Armstrong were household names; before the "one small step" that left America's national footprint on the Moon; and before the wonders of science fiction became the wonders of science fact - to the heyday of the televised rocketman. It was a time when battles were fought with Para-Ray guns and Cosmic Vibrators, "Opticon Scillometers" scanned through walls, heroes in jetpacks soared through the skies, and the universe was full of wonder. The fourteen essays featured here focus on series such as Space Patrol, Tom Corbett, and Captain Z-Ro, exploring their roles in the day-to-day lives of their fans through topics such as mentoring, promotion of the real-world space program, merchandising, gender issues, and ranger clubs - all the while, promoting the fledgling medium of television"-- Provided by publisher.
- Foreword: to infinity and beyond! / H. Jenkins
Introduction / A. Bowdoin Van Riper & C. J. Miller
Prologue. When our story begins. Where It All Began: The Flash Gordon Serials / R. Kinnard
Part I. Learning to be rocketmen. 'A Commotion in the Firmament': Tom Corbett and the Lost Boys / J. C. Tibbetts
Boys Wonder: Male Teenage Assistants in 1950s Sci-Fi Movie Serials and Cold War Masculinity / R. Jacobs
Girls and 'Space Fever' / A. Foster
Part II. Reaching for tomorrow. Space Fever: From Fantasy to Reality / H. E. McCurdy
Shooting for the Stars: Captain Video, the Rocket Rangers, and America's Conquest of Space / P. Luciano & G. Coville
Space Opera TV: Seeing the World of Tomorrow / J. P. Telotte
Part III. As Seen On TV. The Sky is the Limit: Advertising and Consumer Culture in Rocketman Television Shows of the 1950s / L. R. Samuel
Creating a Sense of Wonder: The Glorious Legacy of Space Opera Toys of the 1950's / S. M. Young
Space Patrol: Missions of Daring in the Name of Early Television / J. Bassior
Part IV. Looking at the earth. Making the Universe Safe for Democracy: Rocky Jones, Space Ranger / W. W. Dixon
"Justice through Strength and Courage": Captain Midnight and the Military-Industrial Complex / M. Broderick
"To Learn from the Past. . .": Becoming Cold War Citizens with Captain Z-Ro / C. J. Miller & A. Bowdoin Van Riper
Epilogue. The twenty-first century and beyond. Confessions of A Commando Cody Addict (Or, How The Flying Suit Changed My Life) / G. Hughes.
- Miller, Cynthia J., 1958-
Van Riper, A. Bowdoin.
- 9780230377318 (hardback)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|