The science game : an introduction to research in the behavioral and social sciences / Neil McK. Agnew, Sandra W. Pyke.
- 7th ed.
- Don Mills, Ont. ; New York : Oxford, 2007.
xxviii, 500 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Social sciences -- Research.
- "Using quirky and sometimes irreverent examples to provide an overview of social science methodology, this new edition of this text has been revised to include consideration of current 'hot topics' in the constantly evolving field of scientific research, including the trend away from 'hard' (quantitative) research to 'soft' (qualitative) research, advances in computerized analysis of statistical data, and the increasing focus on the cultural context of research."--BOOK JACKET.
- PREFACE; ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS; DEDICATION; PROLOGUE; PART 1: Going Beyond Common Sense and Human Limitations; 1. From common sense to science; 2. Big puzzles, small brains; PART 2: From Pre-Sceince to Science; 3. Mapping reality using the elastic, after-the-fact method; 4. The before-and-after method; 5. The control-group method; PART 3: From Local to General Truths; 6. Validity - The Reach of Science; 7. Developmental and longitudinal studies; PART 4: Accessing Subjective Thoughts and Feeling, and Behaviour That Won't Fit into Labs; 8. Qualitative methods: Questionnaires, attitude scales and interviews; 9. Qualitative methods: Naturalistic observation and archival research; PART 5: Walking on Numerical Stepping Stones?; 10. The number game; 11. Statistical foundations I: Packaging information; 12. Statistical foundations II: Prediction; PART 6: Being Good and Clear; 13. Ethics; 14. Research and report writing; PART 7: Wide Angle Views of Sex and Science; 15. Sex and science; 16. The truth spinners; APPENDIX: N TO 1 OF STUDY; ANSWERS TO QUIZ QUESTIONS; REFERENCES; INDEX.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 476-491) and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the James Hosmer Penniman Book Fund.
- Pyke, Sandra W., 1937-
James Hosmer Penniman Book Fund.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|