War and politics in the Elizabethan counties / Neil Younger.
- Manchester ; New York : Manchester University Press, 2012.
- Politics, culture, and society in early modern Britain.
Politics, culture and society in early modern Britain
xii, 270 p. : ill., charts ; 24 cm.
- Anglo-Spanish War, 1585-1604.
Great Britain -- History -- Elizabeth, 1558-1603.
Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 1558-1603.
- This title reassesses the English national war effort during the wars against Spain (1585-1603). Drawing on a mass on hitherto neglected source material from both central and local archives, it finds a political system in much better health than has been thought.
- Introduction: war and the Elizabethan state
1. Constructing a Protestant regime: the machinery of the Elizabethan war effort in the counties
2. Government and people during the Elizabethan wars
3. Defending the Protestant state: the militia and invasion threats
4. Fighting Elizabeth's wars: troop levies from the counties
5. The costs of war: lieutenancy finance
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 9780719083006 (hbk.)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|