[al-Qānūn fī al-ṭibb]. = [القانون في الطب].
- Standardized Title:
- Qānūn fī al-ṭibb. Kitāb 1. Selections
قانون في الطب. Selections.
- [Spain, between 1100 and 1150]
92 leaves : paper ; 240 x 165 (190 x 120) mm.
- Medicine -- Early works to 1800.
- Manuscripts, Arabic -- 12th century.
Codices (bound manuscripts)
- Arabic, with a few annotations in Hebrew (f. 50r-50v).
- Sections from Book I of Avicenna's medical encyclopedia al-Qānūn fī al-ṭibb. The section concerns the preservation of health. One leaf has 13th-century marginal transliterations into Hebrew of Arabic terms in the text (f. 50r-50v); other marginal notes in Arabic throughout. Worm damage, stains, and tears in margins throughout.
- Ms. codex.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Foliation: Paper, 92; [1-92], modern foliation in pencil, upper left recto.
Layout: Written in 25 long lines.
Script: Written in maghribi script in brown ink, with a slightly larger script used for headings; a few marginal transliterations written in 13th-century Spanish sephardi cursive script (Sam Fogg).
Decoration: Headings in ink that now appears purple.
Origin: Likely copied in Spain, in Cordoba or Toledo, in the first half of the 12th century.
- Local notes:
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- Penn Provenance:
- Sold by Sam Fogg Ltd. (London) to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, Dec. 2002.
Gift of Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle Schoenberg, 2015.
- Cited in:
- Described in Transformation of knowledge: early manuscripts from the collection of Lawrence J. Schoenberg (London: Paul Holberton, 2006), p. 80 (LJS 446).
- Cited as:
- UPenn LJS 446.
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J., former owner.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|