The reign of Richard II : from minority to tyranny 1377-97 / selected sources translated and annotated by Alison K. McHardy.
- Manchester ; New York : Manchester University Press ; New York : distributed exclusively in the USA by Palgrave Macmillan, 2012.
- Manchester medieval sources series.
Manchester medieval sources series
xviii, 344 p. : maps ; 22 cm.
- Richard II, King of England, 1367-1400 -- Sources.
Great Britain -- History -- Richard II, 1377-1399 -- Sources.
- "The long-awaited prequel to Chronicles of the Revolution covers the first twenty years (1377-97) of Richard II's reign. This richly-documented period offers exceptional opportunities and challenges to students, and the editor has selected material from a wide range of sources: well-known English chronicles, foreign chronicles, and legal, administrative and financial records. These are arranged chronologically to form a coherent narrative of the reign. Clear and lively commentary and notes enable readers to make the fullest use of each document. The introduction describes the complex domestic and international situation which confronted the young king, and offers guidance on the strengths and weaknesses of the reign's leading chronicles. The dramatic and diverse politics of the reign of Richard II make this the ideal special subject, and an accessible, affordable, student-friendly documentary history of Richard II's reign has long been needed. This book is designed to fill that gap."--Publisher's website.
- Prologue: The End of Edward III's Reign 1376-7
The Minority: 1377-81
The Peasants' Revolt
The Struggle For Power 1382-7
The Radcot Bridge Campaign
The Rule And Fall Of The Appellants: The Merciless Parliament And Its Aftermath 1388-9
The first session, 3 February-20 March
The second session, 13 April-2 June
The appellants in power
From Appeasement To Tyranny: 1389-97
The Expedition To Ireland, 1394-5.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -337) and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Horace Howard Furness Memorial Fund.
- McHardy, A. K.
Horace Howard Furness Memorial Fund.
Horace Howard Furness Memorial Library (University of Pennsylvania)
- 9780719038532 (pbk.)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|