[Books II-V of al-Qānūn fī al-ṭibb] [manuscript].
- Standardized Title:
- Qānūn fī al-ṭibb. Selections
- [Persia, 15-- or 16--?]
367 leaves : paper ; 318 x 220 (215 x 138) mm. bound to 318 x 230 mm. + 2 notes.
- Medicine -- Early works to 1800.
Manuscripts, Arabic -- 16th century.
Manuscripts, Arabic -- 17th century.
- Books II (materia medica), III (diseases arranged by part of the body), IV (diseases not specific to particular organs), and V (compound drugs, ointments, and electuaries) of Avicenna's medical encyclopedia. Some marginal notes, beginning in Book III, with more toward the end of the volume; 2 notes in Arabic laid in following f. 144 and f. 275.
- 1. f.1v-56v: [Book II, al-Adwiyah al-mufradah]
2. f.57v-235v: [Book III, al-Amrāḍ al-juzʼīyah]
3. f.236v-329r: [Book IV, al-Amrāḍ al latī la takhaṣ bi-ʻuḍwīn bi-ʻaynih]
4. f.329r-367r: [Book V, al-Adwiyah al-murakkabah]
- Ms. codex.
Title for manuscript and section titles supplied by cataloger.
Collation: Paper, i (19th-century?) + 367; 46 gatherings alternating between 6 leaves and 10 leaves, with the last gathering lacking one leaf; [1-367], modern foliation in pencil, upper left recto. Catchword on each leaf, lower left verso.
Layout: Written in 31 long lines, with names of medicines and ailments written in the margins.
Script: Written in naskh script, except for the final leaves written in nastaʻlīq script (f. 362r-367r).
Decoration: Significant words and phrases in red ink; names of medicines and ailments in red ink in the margins corresponding to words in red in the text.
Binding: Possibly 19th-century Indian leather, with stamped medallions in green leather overlay.
Origin: Written in Persia in the 16th or 17th century.
- Local notes:
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- Penn Provenance:
- Possible ownership seal (f. 95r) and inscriptions (f. 1r).
Sold by Sam Fogg Ltd. (London) to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, Oct. 2001.
Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
Gift of Barbara Brizdle Schoenberg, 2016.
- Cited in:
- Described in Transformation of knowledge: early manuscripts from the collection of Lawrence J. Schoenberg (London: Paul Holberton, 2006), p. 81 (LJS 427).
- Cited as:
- UPenn Oversize LJS 427.
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J., former owner.
- Adwiyah al-mufradah.
Amrāḍ al latī la takhaṣ bi-ʻuḍwīn bi-ʻaynih.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|