[Books III-V of al-Qānūn fī al-ṭibb] [manuscript].
- Standardized Title:
- Qānūn fī al-ṭibb. Selections
- A.H. 899-904 (1494-1498)
626 leaves : paper, col. ill. ; 316 x 173 (220 x 172) mm. bound to 316 x 187 mm.
- Medicine -- Early works to 1800.
Manuscripts, Arabic -- 15th century.
- Books III (al-Amrāḍ al-juzʼīyah, diseases arranged by part of the body), IV (al-Amrāḍ al latī la takhaṣ bi-ʻuḍwīn bi-ʻaynih, diseases not specific to particular organs), and V (al-Adwiyah al-murakkabah, compound drugs, ointments, and electuaries) of Avicenna's medical encyclopedia. Extensive marginal notes on the first pages of the manuscript (f. 1v-3r), with frequent brief marginal notes in the rest of the manuscript. A somewhat later table of contents, arranged in a grid, has been added at the front of the volume (f. iii recto-xvii recto).
- Ms. codex.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Foliation: Paper, xviii (later) + 598; [i-xviii, i], 1-540, [i], 541-596, foliation added in ink, perhaps at the same time as the table of contents, upper left recto; [i-xviii, 1-598], modern foliation in pencil, upper left recto. References in this record are to modern foliation.
Layout: Written in 29 long lines.
Script: Written in naskh script, in the hand of Farīj al-Karāb Yūsuf ibn Ḥusayn ibn Fayyāḍ al-ʻArab (colophons, f. 356r, 489r, 541r, 598v) and also perhaps another hand (f. 1v-541r, 542v-598v).
Decoration: 2 illuminated headpieces, the first rubbed (f. 1v, 542v), and space left open for another headpiece (f. 357v); overlining, a few significant words and phrases, and simple ornamentation around colophons (f. 356r, 489r, 541r) in red ink in first section of manuscript (f. 1v-541r); much less overlining and more words and phrases in red in second section of manuscript (f. 542v-598v); some marginal notes in red, sometimes corresponding to overlined words or words in red in the main text; text block outlined with several narrow ink lines on the first 2 pages (f. 1v-2r); later table of contents in black and red (f. iii recto-xvii recto).
Binding: Composite morocco, with blind-stamped medallions; paper label with title Kitāb al-Qānūn in ink on upper cover.
Origin: Written in A.H. 899-904 (1494-1498, colophons, f. 356r, 489r, 541r, 598v).
- Local notes:
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- Penn Provenance:
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 3 May 2001, lot 32, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
Gift of Barbara Brizdle Schoenberg, 2016.
- Cited in:
- Described in Transformation of knowledge: early manuscripts from the collection of Lawrence J. Schoenberg (London: Paul Holberton, 2006), p. 81 (LJS 417).
- Cited as:
- UPenn Oversize LJS 417.
- Farīj al-Karāb Yūsuf ibn Ḥusayn ibn Fayyāḍ al-ʻArab, scribe.
Schoenberg, Lawrence J., former owner.
- Amrāḍ al-juzʼīyah.
Amrāḍ al latī la takhaṣ bi-ʻuḍwīn bi-ʻaynih.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|