Athenae britannicae, or, A critical history of the Oxford and Cambrige [sic] writers and writings : with those of the dissenters and romanists, as well as other authors and worthies, both domestick and foreign, both ancient and modern. Together with an occasional freedom of thought, in criticizing and comparing the parallel qualifications of the most eminent authors and their performances, both in manusript and print, both at home and abroad / by M.D. barrister at lawauthor of the Critical history of pamphlets, &c.
- Standardized Title:
- Athenae britannicae. Part 1
- Other Title:
- Athenae britannicae, or, A critical history of the Oxford and Cambridge writers and writings
Critical history of the Oxford and Cambrige writers and writings
- London : Printed for the author, 1716.
, 88, 348 [i.e.347],  p. ; 18 cm (8vo)
- ulur e-do a-i- inno (3) 1716 (A)
- English literature -- Early modern, 1500-1700.
Bio-bibliography -- Early works to 1800.
University of Oxford -- Bio-bibliography.
University of Cambridge -- Bio-bibliography.
Medicine -- History.
- Place of Publication:
- England London.
- This is probably the 1716 reissue of Part I of "Athenae britannicae" which was first published anonymously in 1715 under title: Eikon mikro-biblike (recorded as ESTC T135524) and then reissued with a cancel title page in 1716 (ESTC T135525). Two other vols. in this set T135526 (Part 2) and ESTC T200741 (Part 3) also appeared in 1716. Pagination (including the errors) and signatures match ESTC T135525 but the title page matches that recorded under ESTC T200741 for Part 3. It is unclear if work here is actually an intentional variant of ESTC T135525 or if it's simply that the title page to Part 3 was used instead.
Errors in pagination: page 226 mispaginated 216; page 344 omitted in pagination but no loss of text.
Signatures: pi²(±pi1) A⁴ a-k⁴ B-2Y⁴ 2Z².
- Local notes:
- Culture Class Collection copy has armorial bookplate of "Charles W. G. Howard" [i.e. Charles Wentworth George Howard] with text printed at foot of bookplate: The gift of the Rt. Hon. Sir David Dundas Knt. of Ochtertyre MDCCCLXXVII 
Culture Class Collection copy has biographical notes relating to author Myles Davies added in ms. on back flyleaf.
- Penn Provenance:
- Howard, Charles Wentworth George, 1814-1879 (bookplate) (Culture Class Collection copy)
Dundas, David, 1799-1877 (former owner) (Culture Class Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Culture Class Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
English Culture Class Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|