Ruggles of Red Gap [videorecording] / a Paramount Picture ; [written] by Harry Leon Wilson ; produced by Arthur Hornblow, Jr ; directed by Leo McCarey ; screen play by Walter DeLeon and Harlan Thompson ; adapted by Humphrey Pearson.
- Universal City, CA : Universal Studios Home Entertainment, 2009.
- Universal vault series.
Universal vault series
1 videodisc (91 min.) : sd., b&w ; 3/4 in.
- Wilson, Harry Leon, 1867-1939 -- Film adaptations.
Butlers -- Washington (State) -- Drama.
British -- West (U.S.) -- Drama.
Disguise -- Drama.
Gambling -- Drama.
Restaurateurs -- Drama.
West (U.S.) -- Emigration and immigration -- Drama.
- Comedy films.
- System Details:
- DVD-R (NTSC; all regions); Dolby digital mono.; 1:33:1 aspect ratio.
- A stuffy British butler, Marmaduke Ruggles, is traded in a poker game from an English Duke to a wealthy and rowdy American, Egbert Floud. Ruggles' new home is Red Gap, Washington, where he is introduced by Egbert as "Colonel" Ruggles. The town ladies are quite taken by the sophisticated servant in disguise as he enamors them with fictitious stories of battles gone by. Ruggles proves his newfound patriotism in one of the best scenes of the film, his recitation of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address in the Silver Dollar Saloon. The dream of freedom leads him to open his own restaurant, where one of his first customers is the Duke, who has come to reclaim his former servant.
- Charles Laughton, Mary Boland, Charlie Ruggles, ZaSu Pitts, Roland Young, Leila Hyams, Maude Eburne, Lucien Littlefield, Leota Lorraine, James Burke, Dell Henderson, Clarence Wilson.
- Cinematography, Alfred Gilks ; editing, Edward Dmytryk.
- Originally released as a motion picture in 1935.
Based on the novel by Harry Leon Wilson.
Nominated for a 1935 Best Picture Academy Award.
"This disc is expected to play back in DVD video 'play only' devices, and may not play back in other DVD devices, including recorders and PC drives."--Container.
- McCarey, Leo. , Director
Hornblow, Arthur, Jr., 1893-1976. , Producer
DeLeon, Walter, 1884-1947. , Screenwriter
Wilson, Harry Leon, 1867-1939. , Screenwriter
Thompson, Harlan, 1890-1966. , Screenwriter
Pearson, Humphrey. , Adapter
Gilks, Alfred. , Cinematographer
Laughton, Charles, 1899-1962. , Actor
Boland, Mary, 1880-1965. , Actor
Ruggles, Charlie, 1886-1970. , Actor
Pitts, ZaSu, 1898-1963 , Actor
Young, Roland, 1887-1953. , Actor
Hyams, Leila, 1905-1977. , Actor
Wilson, Harry Leon, 1867-1939. , Author
Paramount Pictures Corporation (1914-1927). , Producer
Universal Pictures (Firm). , Producer
Universal Studios Home Entertainment (Firm) , Distributor
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|