[Kitāb al-Adwār] [manuscript].
- Standardized Title:
- Mosul, A.H. 1103 (1692)
26 leaves : paper ; 294 x 200 (253 x 160) mm. bound to 300 x 206 mm.
- Music -- Early works to 1800.
Music theory -- Arab countries -- Early works to 1800.
- Manuscripts, Arabic -- 17th century.
- Treatise on the theory of music, including division of frets, ratio of intervals, consonance and dissonance, cycles, rhythmic and melodic modes, and the 5-string oud or lute.
- Ms. codex.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Pagination: Paper, ii (modern) + 26 + ii (modern) leaves; [1-52]; modern pagination in pencil, upper right corners.
Layout: Written in 23 long lines; ruled in lead.
Script: Written in a naskh script by Masʻūd ibn Ḥusayn al-Mūsīqī al-Musalī (colophon, p. 51).
Decoration: Diagrams and selected characters and words in red ink throughout.
Binding: Original (late 17th-century) morocco laid on modern morocco over boards, blind-tooled; stab-sewn.
Origin: Written in Mosul, Iraq, dated 7 Dhū al-Qaʻdah A.H. 1103 (22 Jul. 1692; colophon, p. 51).
- Local notes:
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- Penn Provenance:
- Sold at auction at Christie's, 20 Apr. 1999, lot 327, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- Cited in:
- Described in Transformation of knowledge: early manuscripts from the collection of Lawrence J. Schoenberg (London: Paul Holberton, 2006), p. 31 (LJS 294).
- Cited as:
- LJS 294
- Masʻūd ibn Ḥusayn al-Mūsīqī al-Musalī, scribe.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|