The female figure in contemporary historical fiction / edited by Katherine Cooper and Emma Short.
- Basingstoke : Palgrave Macmillan, 2012.
xiii, 241 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Historical fiction, English -- 21st century -- History and criticism.
Women in literature.
- From 'The Other Boleyn Girl' to 'Fingersmith', this collection explores the popularity of female-centred historical novels in recent years. It asks how these representations are influenced by contemporary gender politics, and whether they can be seen as part of a wider feminist project to recover women's history.
- Introduction: Histories and heroines: the female figure in contemporary historical fiction / Katherine Cooper and Emma Short
Historical women: revisioning real lives
The virtuosa and the ventriloquists: Janice Galloway's Clara / Theresa Jamieson
Making up, or making over: reconstructing the modern female author / Emma Short
A deviant device: diary dissembling in Margaret Atwood's Alias Grace / Kym Brindle
'Whoso list to hunt': the literary fortunes of Anne Boleyn / Julia Crane
Imagines histories: romancing fictional heroines
Do knights still rescue damsels in distress?: reimagining the medieval in Mills & Boon historical romance / Amy Burge
Sexual f(r)ictions: pornography in neo-Victorian women's fiction / Nadine Muller
Re-claiming Anne Damer/re-covering Sapphic history: Emma Donoghue's Life Mask / Claire O'Callaghan
Things slipping between past and present: feminism and the gothic in Kate Mosse's Sepulchre / Katherine Cooper
Rewriting history: reasserting the female
Imagine, investigate, intervene?: a consideration of feminist intent and metafictive invention in the historical fictions of A.S. Byatt and Marina Warner / Siân Harris
In defence of fiction: history and imagination in Kate Grenville's The Secret River and The Lieutenant / Anna Gething
Difficulties, discontinuities, and differences: reading women's historical fiction / Diana Wallace
Writing historical fiction: thoughts from two practitioners / Alice Thompson and Susan Sellers.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Cooper, Katherine (Researcher in English literature)
Short, Emma (Researcher in English literature)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|