The Odd-fellows' text-book : an elucidation of the theory of Odd-Fellowship : embracing a detail of the system, in all its branches : with forms, ceremonies, and odes with music, for important occasions, and a manual of practice for the guidance of officers and lodges / by Paschal Donaldson ; With elegant illustrative engravings.
- Other records:
- 8th thousand. - rev. ed.
- Philadelphia : Moss & Brother, 1852, [c1851]. [Stereotyped by C.C. Savage]
12, 286,  p.,  leaves of plates : port., ill, ; 20 cm.
- Independent Order of Odd Fellows -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.
Secret societies -- Rituals.
Colfax, Schuyler, 1823-1885.
- Advertisements -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- 19th century.
- Contents: The Odd Fellows' textbook : the history and tendency of Odd Fellowship - The organization of Odd Fellowship - A word to the neophyte - The subordinate lodge - The officers of a lodge - Attendance at the lodge - Behavior in the lodge - Behavior out of the lodge - Duty of one member toward another - Charity should distinguish Odd Fellows - The proposal of candidates - Discipline of Odd Fellowship - Principles of Odd Fellowship - Opening and closing a lodge - Degrees and degree lodges - Subordinate encampments - State Grand Lodges and Grand Encampments - The Grand Lodge of the United States - Organization of lodges, etc., and installation of officers - An Odd Fellows' counselin nine chapters - Secrecy - General regulations of the order. The Degree of Rebekeh - Addressed to the ladies To the uninitiated - Odd Fellowship and patriotism - Odd Fellowship and religion - An address for the use of Odd-Fellows - Condition of the order in 1850 - Odes for several important occasions -A manual of practice for the guidance of presiding officers, members of lodges, etc. - Officers and members of the Grand Lodge of the United States
- Recommendations and publisher's advertisements: First fourteen pages, and last  p. These include a biographical sketch and portrait of Schuyler Colfax, by Illman & Sons. T.p. is p. , second count.
Plate  is a chromolithograph.
Edition statement at head of title.
- Local notes:
- Kaplan Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2012 by Arnold and Deanne Kaplan.
Kaplan Collection copy has chromolithograph membership certificate.
- Penn Provenance:
- Kaplan, Arnold (donor) (Kaplan Collection copy)
Kaplan, Deanne (donor) (Kaplan Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Arnold and Deanne Kaplan Collection of Early American Judaica (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|