Adawa [videorecording] = Adwa / a Haile Gerima film ; a Negod Gwad Production In Co-Production with ZDF/ARTE ; produced, directed and edited by Haile Gerima.
- Other Title:
- Adwa [videorecording]
Title on container: Adwa, an African victory [videorecording]
- [Washington, DC] : Mypheduh Films, Inc. [distributor] ; 2003.
1 videodisc (97 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in.
- Adwa, Battle of, Adwa, Ethiopia, 1896.
Menelik II, Negus of Ethiopia, 1844-1913.
Taitu, Empress, consort of Menelik II, Negus of Ethiopia, d. 1918.
Italo-Ethiopian War, 1895-1896.
Ethiopia -- History -- 1889-1974.
- War films.
- In English and Amharic with optional English subtitles.
- System Details:
- DVD, NTSC; mono.
- On March 2, 1896, the Italians embarked on the final European conquest of an African nation, Ethiopia. With brilliant military intelligence and gallant generals at the helm, united and willed, the Ethiopian people fought their way to triumph over the Italians at the Battle of Adwa. The event ignited a lasting flame of hope, of freedom and independence in the hearts of African throughout the world. Haile Gerima, the director and producer, joins the voices of Ethiopian historians, elders, priests, poets and singers, capturing on film the powerful education and experience that shaped his consciousness. In a collage of Ethiopian landscapes, paintings, photographs and faces, the film illuminates one of the hidden sources of African empowerment.
- Production manager, Solomon Bekele ; director of cinematography, Agustin Cubano ; sound, Albert Bailey ; traditional music arranged by Mulatu Astatke.
- Originally produced as a motion picture in 1999.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Rosengarten Family Fund.
- Gerima, Haile. , Producer, Director, Editor
Cubano, Agustin. , Cinematographer
Astatke, Mulatu, 1943- , Composer
Bailey, Albert. , Sound designer
Negod-Gwad Productions. , Producer
Zweites Deutsches Fernsehen. , Producer
Arte (Firm) , Producer
Mypheduh Films. , Distributor
Rosengarten Family Fund.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|