Tipon : water engineering masterpiece of the Inca empire / Kenneth R. Wright, with Gordon McEwan and Ruth M. Wright.
- Reston, Va. : American Society of Civil Engineers, c2006.
ix, 155, 8 p. : ill. (some col.), maps ; 28 cm.
- Hydraulic engineering -- Peru -- History -- To 1548.
Tipón Site (Peru).
Antiquities, Prehistoric -- Peru.
- Local subjects:
- Hydraulic engineering -- Peru -- History -- To 1548. (search)
Antiquities, Prehistoric -- Peru. (search)
- "Tipon: Water Engineering Masterpiece of the Inca Empire reveals the beauty and the ingenuity of this little-known jewel of the Inca Empire." "Located down the Huatanay River Valley by the Inca capital of Cusco, Tipon is a 500-acre, self-contained, walled settlement that served as an estate for Inca nobility. This historic agricultural site, which has been farmed and partially irrigated for more than 450 years, is a stunning civil engineering achievement by the Inca, who were masters of irrigation and hydraulic technology. They designed buildings, waterworks, and massive structures to be visually and functionally in harmony with the natural environment. In planning a place that would integrate water, soil, agriculture, and topography, the Inca created a virtual water garden that impresses all who visit. Kenneth R. Wright takes readers on a tour of Tipon's canals, plazas, aqueducts, and fountains - infrastructure that transformed a remote mountainside into a true engineering marvel." "Along with a walking guide and photographs, this book provides modern engineers and casual tourists alike with an appreciation of the Inca civilization through the great works they left behind."--Jacket.
- Tipon: estate for Inca nobility
Civil engineering planning
The central terraces
Hydrology of Tipon
Tipon's canal system
Buildings and structures
Outer wall and Cruzmoqo
Inca design and construction technology
The Inca heritage / Gordon F. McEwan
Walking tour of Tipon / Ruth M. Wright.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 141-144) and index.
- McEwan, Gordon Francis.
Wright, Ruth M.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|